CHAPTER 9

An annoying ring wakes me up from my deep slumber and I groan, turning to take my phone from the bedside table. I squint my eyes to get a better look at the screen and I frown when I see Lee’s number. She doesn’t usually call me, especially this early in the morning. Most of our conversations are video chats or on our WhatsApp group. I sit up and cover my boobs with the sheet. I look at my husband who opens his eyes and frowns at me.

“Morning, my love. What’s up?” he asks and I shrug.
I answer the call. “Tase, hello. How are you?”
“I am doing well under the circumstances. Are you okay? I just saw the posts and the things they are speculating are not good.” I frown. Posts?
“Lee, what are you talking about?”

“Oww shit, you haven’t seen them? It is morning that side, isn’t it? Well Kuhle is trending. A couple of pictures were posted on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook of him with the Mhlongo princess looking rather cosy. Some bloggers have already written pieces on that story. Allegedly, this princess is going to be Kuhle’s second wife. Tell me that is not true, tase.”

I sigh and get up from the bed. I take Kuhle’s shirt from the floor and put it on. “He is not going to marry her but the family is really set on that notion. I don’t know where it’s coming from all of the sudden and I don’t really know how to deal with it.”
She scoffs. “Well they can’t force him to marry that little girl. He is an adult and can make his own decision. But we all know how sneaky and demanding royal women can be. Just watch out tase and be careful.”

I walk into the bathroom and close the door behind me. “I will do so. Thank you for checking up on me. How are you doing by the way? How is the little one?”
She has a one year old son, Siphiwosethu, and he was born a premature, so they have been in and out of the hospital a lot this year. Noma also got a child. Well what really happened is that she found a woman on one of the homes she usually donate in. the young woman was pregnant and had an incurable disease. She knew the risks of carrying the baby but she went ahead with it, wanting to leave a part of her in the world should she die. On her last days, she drew up a contract with Noma, signing over all the parental rights of the kid to her. The young lady died on the operating table and Zibusiso Carter was born. She is three years old now and she is so troublesome. 

“He is okay. I left him at home. I am currently at Wales.”
I put the phone on loud speaker and place it on the phone holder near the sink. “Wales? What are you doing there?”
“Mom suffered a haemorrhagic stroke three days ago and her condition is not promising.” She sniffs and my heart breaks into a million pieces.
“Aibo, Lindelwa. What happened?” I am legit shocked by this. Lee’s mother is very healthy and likes taking care of herself. I think she goes to the hospital at least once a month for just a general check-up. This is not make sure.

“There was a bleeding in her brain and the blood supply to part of her brain cut off, killing brain cells. She was taken to surgery last night and the doctor hasn’t come out to update me. But I have read the effects of the stroke and the operation. The results are not giving me a positive energy. If she recovers, she may never go back to normal. I don’t even wanna think about the possibility of her not surviving.” She sobs and I sniff. She has spent so many years apart from her mother and after the reconciliation, their relationship took long to recover, but they have been really close lately and she was there for Lee when she gave birth to Siphiwo. She even took a three months leave just so she can be around a lot. This breaks my heart. It’s true, you may think your problems are huge but once you hear other people’s problems, you realize that yours are nothing in comparison.

“Why didn’t you tell me, tase?” I wipe my tears.
“You were still busy with your launch and now this princess thing. I didn’t want to bother you.”
“But we are family. You know better than to keep something like this from me. Does Noma know?”
“No. she is also busy these days, so I didn’t want to stress you guys.”
I huff. Lee’s modesty will get her killed one day. This is no time to be making excuses for us. “I will pray for your mother, tase. Hang in there.”

“Thanks. You also hang in there and may this princess thing blow over as soon as possible.” I hang up and sink to the floor. My body shakes and I wheeze. Visions starts crowding my mind and I scream, sinking down on the floor and holding my painful head.

“Baby. Is everything okay? What are you…Futhy! Futhy! I feel arms surrounding me before I am picked up from the floor. “What happened?” I shake my head and mutter “prayer room”.

He rushes to my prayer room and places me on the mat before lighting up incense and chanting Zulu clan names. I lie down on the mat, breathing heavily and it takes a while for me to calm down. By that time, the room is filled with smoke. The chaos dies down in my head and I slowly sit up, leaning on the wall. Kuhle looks at me as he leans on the wall opposite me.

“Care to tell me what happened?” he asks and I take a deep breath.
“Lee’s mom is sick and she is not going to make it.” He frowns and opens his mouth to speak but I shake my head. “You are trending. A picture of you and the Mhlongo princess was posted online. What are you going to do about it?”
He scoffs. “I don’t care about that and I know for a fact that your episode wasn’t based on that. What are you going to do about Lee?”
“I need to go to Wales as soon as possible.” I attempt to get up but my body is so painful. My husband quickly comes to my aid.

“You are not going anywhere until you are fully recovered. Now, go bath and go to sleep. I will tell Nonkosi that you are not coming to work today.” He helps me stand up and I shake my head.
“Bring me my shawl, I need to have a conversation with my ancestors.” He nods and then walks out. I look at my alter and shake my head. Why does my work have to be this hard? Can I get a week free of drama for once?

×××

I dial Noma’s number on my way to the airport and it takes a few moments before she answers.

“If what I have seen on the net is true, I swear to God I am going to kill Kuhle and I won’t mind serving a few years in prison.” She rants and I just chuckle. There is never a dull moment with this one.
“Tase, I am calling to inform you that I need you in Wales as in yesterday. Lee’s mom suffered from a fatal stroke and she is not going to make it. We need to be there for her now more than ever.” The line goes silent for a while and it has me thinking she has hung up on me or something. But she speaks up after a minute or so.

“I just found a flight out which will be leaving in three hours at OR Tambo. I will meet you in England, tase. I can’t believe this is happening. After everything Lee has been through with Siphiwo, she doesn’t deserve to suffer like this.” She sighs and I exhale loudly.
“You know how unfair life is, especially to kind hearted people. Anyways, call me when you land. I will have a car ready to pick you up.” I hang up and look outside the window.

Many people would want me to rush back to South Africa and try to do something to make the Kuhle scandal die down but I have to be there for my friend. Lee does not handle grief very well. For a therapist, she does not practice what she preaches. Which is why I need to be there for her during this tough time. She is going to need a shoulder to cry on, now more than ever. People like her tend to shut people out when they deal with pain and trauma and I am not going to let her do that.