CHAPTER 4

Launching corporate offices is never a big deal. Just announcing to the city or locals that you are here now and state the services you render. Dubandlela Construction Company is a big deal in South Africa, but here in Peru or in South America rather, no one knows me that much and we are about to change that. I have invited most local business owners, rich people, the press and the public. Well Nonkosi is the one who did all the research and sent out the invites but who is counting?

I am a bit sad that Kuhle couldn't make it because he is usually present for most of my launches, but he was invited to some kingdom by a king for lunch, so I told him to go there and hear why the king summoned him. Lee had to attend some Nzama family function and Noma is busy with some high profile case, so basically my favourite people won't make it to my launch but life goes on, I guess. We are all adults and we have very busy schedules, so sometimes we have to make it to our functions because of work or other commitments.

"We have to leave now if you don't wanna be stuck in traffic, sisi." Thando announces from the door and I turn to look at her. Her eyes op out. "Why aren't you dressed?" She exclaims and I chuckle.

She is the only one who came, mostly because she brought me a tailor-made white bodycon one shoulder sleeveless ruched midi dress. It is trimmed with rose gold diamonds on top and at the bottom and there is a belt just below my boobs with the same expensive diamonds. It's like no other and Thando really outdid herself. She knew I needed something not too flashy but still classy and unique. She added a white short cape which is also trimmed with diamonds.

I help Nomandla with the other shoe and she jumps out of bed. Sometimes toddlers can feel it when you're running late. They just demand extra care from me and throw tantrums if I ignore them.

"Do I look pretty mommy?" She asks twirling and showing off her dress and I smile. I can never hold a grudge against such cuteness, especially when that cuteness is my spitting image.
"You are the prettiest princess on earth, you know that, right?" She nods with a wide smile before walking out but not without bumping her fist with Thando. I get up and pack the other shoes that she rejected.

"Joys of being a mother, little sis. They come first. Lima can wait a little longer." She rolls her eyes.
"I will wait for you at the lounge." She walks away. I head to my room and get dressed before doing some touch-ups on my make-up. I pray for a successful and accident free day before leaving to join my mini family that is gathered in the lounge.

***

"Thank you for making it here today. My name is Ntombifuthi Melamina Zulu, uMaCele, and I am the founder and director of Dubandlela Construction Company. This company started out small in a tiny office in Durban, South Africa, and now it has blossomed into a global empire. Of course the skills of the workers, myself included, played a huge role in that, but our hard work would still have been just a pipe dream if it weren't for the clients we have obtained over the years. Now we are bringing this legacy into your country, your city, and we hope we can work together in making this empire even bigger than it is. Thank you, once again."

My speech is followed by a round of applause. I turn around and cut the ribbon at the entrance of the office building and that action is followed by another round of applause. I take a couple of pictures with my new staff, some of the politicians and socialites. We then move to a marquee for some refreshments as some of the media journalists head inside the building to take a few snaps of the lobby. While I am engaged in a conversation with one of the local business owners, Matias Asistio who owns a pub and grill, Londisizwe comes running and crashes into me. One of the guards rush to take him but the little fucker clings to me like I am his last hope. I chuckle and lift him up. He places his head on my shoulder. What did I say about my kids wanting extra attention when they know I am preoccupied?

"Such a cute fella." Matias compliments and I laugh. "I commend you for having such a big company and still find time for your family. Many people have failed to keep both and that has led to the world having bitter and horrible bosses."
"All it takes is one supporting and loving partner. If your partner understands you and what you are trying to build, then you can survive almost anything."

He nods. "You are absolutely correct. You should swing by my pub one of these days and maybe we will have a chat about my long overdue renovations." My first local client, how awesome.
I smile widely. "Maybe I will swing by tomorrow." He laughs. "I will try and make it this week because I have to head home soon."

Nonkosi comes to me. "I am sorry Mr. Asistio, but I have to steal our star for the day."
Matias grins. "She is all yours." He turns and heads to a group of men not far from us.
"A journalist from Daily Times Lima wants to talk to you and the mayor has arrived, so you have to take a few pictures with her just for content and indulge her in a meaningless conversation." Sometimes she acts more like my manager than my PA, but she is the only person permitted to boss me around.

***

"So when are you coming back?" Manelisi asks, placing his hand on the screen. He is still a mama's boy even at the age of 6. Yes, he is fond of his old man but I am the love of his life.
"In a week, baby. There are a few meetings mommy has to attend and I have to see how the staff is settling down before rushing back." Imagine explaining yourself to a six year old? But that's motherhood for you and it's also about teaching your child communication at a young age.

"Next time I am coming with you. I will give the teacher a doctor's note." He pouts and I laugh. My baby misses me and that makes my heart bleed. I so wish I could travel with all of them but apart from school, they are a headache and I could never focus fully on work with all of them hanging around. They do understand that their mother has to work but sometimes things get lost in translation.

"You are very creative, my young king. Anyways what did you do today after school?"
"Dad and I were supposed to go to the play date with the Mchunus but he didn't show up." He makes a sad face and I frown. Kuhle didn't contact me after his supposed lunch with the king and he didn't even call to ask me how the launch was. And now he didn't show up for Mane? Is he testing me? "But Uncle Zenzo came and took both Bubu and I out for lunch." I am grateful to Zenzo. Bubu is Zobuhle's nickname which Manelisi came up with when he was too young and couldn't pronounce it well.

"Relax, baby. Your dad is just stressed these days. I am sure he will make it up to you. Maybe take you horse riding or even buy you that beast you have been raving about." He wants a dog but since Amahle is allergic to them, he can't have them around the house, so we denied him that pet.
He rolls his eyes. My prince literally rolls his eyes at me. That's a first. "I don't do bribery. Anyways, bye ma. I love you. Now can I please talk to my siblings?"
"Bye baby. I love you more." I hand the iPad to Nomandla who starts telling Manelisi about the launch in her own words.

His words trouble me though. Are all 6 year olds this attentive and smart, or did I ruin my boy with my smart genes? Note to mommies out there, don't take your kids to private schools. These teachers teach them about bribery at pre-school. Imagine. I take out my phone and send Kuhle a text.

'We Kuhlekonke, you know you married a lunatic, right?'