CHAPTER 27

THE PAST

The Mkhize yard was filled with life. People moving up and down. Preparing for the final return of King Gadlazephuke’s third son, Thokozani. They had known of his ancestral gift from a young age. That’s why he was named Thokozani because the ancestors rejoiced over his birth. Their hero had been born. King Gadlazephuke walked around the yard and smiled upon seeing all his children eager for the ceremony. He searched with his eyes once, twice and by the third time he was sure that his first son wasn’t among the people busy with preparations. Where was he? He called his one of his youngest daughter, Zasembo and she ran to her father.

“Zasembo, where is your big brother.”
“He walked out of the gate and went down the snakes river.” She answered and then ran away, not caring if her father was done or not.

The king did not stop her because he knew that was all she had to say. His son, his heir, went out, disregarding and disrespecting Thokozani day. How could he? He spotted his fourth son, Jahimpi, carrying a big pot while walking besides his mother. The king had 6 wives and Jahimpi’s mother was the fourth. He called out his son and both the mother and the son came towards the king.

“Baba, is there anything you need?” MaNgobese asked and the king shook his head with a smile.
“No, my wife. I just need to send Jahimpi on a small errand. He will be back before Thokozani arrives.” MaNgobese nodded and walked away. “Where is your brother, Jahimpi?” Jahimpi’s eyes popped out and he looked everywhere but at the king.

“Baba.. I… I…”
“I did not give birth to a stutter, Jahimpi. Tell me the truth now before you piss me off.” The king did not need to shout. His voice already carried to much authority.

“A boy from his church came to fetch him. Apparently his pastor said they were going to pray at this family’s home that has been bewitched.”

The king frowned. “Pray? Pray? Since when does prayer help in witchcraft? Is his Jesus going to dig out amabhodlela (vials filled with black magic portions) from the ground or what? Is Nqobimpi disrespecting me right now?”

“Baba, calm down. I will go fetch him and bring him back.” Jahimpi knew that what he was saying was impossible but he did not want to see his father angry, especially on an important day like this.

The king shook his head. “No. Leave him be. He will face his punishment when he comes back.” He walked away and Jahimpi released a breath he didn’t know he was holding. Nqobimpi was in deep shit and this was bigger than any stunt he had ever pulled.

×××

KUHLEKONKE ZULU

Getting up, I am shocked to see my wife still sleeping besides me. She is usually up by this time. But she is a very busy person, so she deserved to sleep in every once in a while. I kiss her head before getting off the bed. She doesn’t even stir up. That means she is dead tired. I brush my teeth before heading over to the kids rooms to prepare them for school. Zobuhle is having a diva moment, saying she wants to wear a princess dressing knowing very well that she is in Grade 1 and she is obliged to wear uniform all the time. She is comparing herself to Nomandla who is still in Day Care. Hebana. These kids. They never do this when their mother is overseas.

“Hlehle, I won’t bring you that candy if you continue giving dad trouble.” Zweli says from the door and Zobuhle pouts before allowing me to help her with her uniform. Manelisi is already at the kitchen eating his cereal. That boy is a gift from God, I swear. The rest of the rascals were probably conjured up by Satan. Just kidding.

“Where is mom?” Milisuthando asks as I enter the kitchen. I won’t hear the end of it.
“She is sleeping.”
“Why?”
“Because she is tired.”
“But why?” I groan inwardly. Can Futhy wake up and take away her child?

“Eat your food, young prince.” One of their nannies, MaBlose, comes to my rescue and I give her an appreciative smile. The little troublemaker actually listens because he goes mute and eats his breakfast. MaBlose though. A gogo after my own heart.

“I am staying in today.” Kuhlesibonge states when his siblings start walking out and I frown, giving him a questioning look. “My mom is not here. I can feel it. She is in the land of the ancestors and I can’t function while she is there.” Come to think of it, he only ate one spoon of his cereal and just played with the rest. Land of the ancestors? What is this child saying?

“Son, your mother is just resting. Nothing to worry yourself about.”
“I’m not worried but I am not okay. Only part of her, not wholly.” What is this child saying? Do all 4 year Olds confuse you like this?

“Sibonge, are you coming?” Nomandla asks.
“Your brother is sick, so he is staying home.” I respond and she holds her stomach.
“Ouch. I’m also sick.”
“Yeah, nice try, but you’re going to school. See you later.” I help them into the cars and go back to the house with Kuhlesibonge. “Let me check on your mother. Maybe she is awake.”

“She is not, but you can try your luck.” He shrugs and head over to the playroom.

I hope he is wrong and this is just another stunt to dodge school. I rush to our bedroom and find Futhy still sleeping in the same position I left her in. My heart skips a beat. I shake her a few times but she doesn’t respond. I don’t panic much because she is still breathing but I know something is wrong. Did she faint? I take out my phone and call the family doctor. 30 minutes later, she is knocking at our door with her portable equipment.

“Her vitals are normal. Her heartbeat is average. There is no abnormality in her BP. She should be awake or maybe will wake up soon. Maybe this might not be fixed with Western Medicine. Try traditional ways, my prince.” She advises before packing up and leaving.

I sigh and sit down next to Futhy. She looks so peaceful and beautiful. I have to do something or call someone. The door opens and I see Sibonge walking in. He glances at his mother and shakes his head. “She is really gone. You should call gogo.” He comes to my side and extends his arms. I pick him up and put him on my lap. He lays his head on my chest and sucks on his thumb. I take my phone and call MaShezi. She answers after a few rings.

“Mtanami.”
“Ma, something is wrong with Zweli’s mother. She is not waking up.”