CHAPTER 15

KUHLEKONKE ZULU

‘JUST IN
CEO of the newly opened branch of Dubandlela Construction Company in Peru, Manuel Diaz, was admitted at Arzobispo Loayza Hospital less than 24 hours ago. The young architect is said to have suffered a stroke after being miraculously struck by lightning. He was found by his helper last night at his home. The young man is the supposed lover of Princess Melamina Zulu, the founder of Dubandlela Construction Company and the wife of Prince Kuhlekonke Zulu. We are still waiting for the doctor’s feedback regarding the CEO’s condition. I am Angela Valdez, reporting live from Symphony TV.’

“One would be glad for such news if it brought good publicity. It’s funny how my supposed affair is trending more than anything I have ever done in my life.” My wife’s voice startles me and I turn to find her standing on the doorway looking a bit better than the condition I found her in when I came here. I quickly stand up and walk to her.

“How are you feeling?” I ask and she gives me a small smile.
“I have been through worse. This is nothing.” She shrugs and walks to the couch. She sits down and I go sit next to her.
“That was not an answer, baby. How are you really feeling?”
She looks down and sighs. “I don’t know if I took it too far or overreacted but I couldn’t handle the thought of being touched by another man that is not my husband or my father. I can still feel his hands on me and not in a good way.” She swallows hard. “What are we doing to handle the press?”

I shake my head. “You are not doing anything. You deserve a break from all this. We hired people to handle such matters for a reason and we pay them handsomely. So don’t worry, in a day, the media’s perspective will be changed.” She opens her mouth to say something but I shake my head. “We are not going to talk about this any further. You have been through the worst and as I said, you need a break. Which is why I had Namuhla organise a vacation for us. By us I mean you, me and all our kids. They have been complaining about you being absent in their life. I had a chat with Zweli and he thinks that you have abandoned him.”

Her lower lip quivers and her eyes water. “My baby. But you did tell him that it’s not like that. I have to complete the launches before I can go home and be with them.”
I nod. “I did tell him but you know how kids are. Especially teenagers. You don’t call or text them for a day and they already think you have forgotten about them. But don’t worry, he will come around.” A tear falls down her cheek and she quickly wipes it.

“I can’t just up and leave for a spontaneous vacation. Now that Manuel is in the hospital, I have to point an interim CEO and handle some issues. I have to also assure all the clients that we are still the best in the game and that nothing is going to change.”
I smile. “When I tell you not to worry, I mean just that. Zah and Mbuso are in town. She is your second in command, so she is obliged to handle anything and you know very well that she has your best interests at heart. She will hire a new CEO and handle the handover smoothly. You have nothing to worry about. You trust her, right?”

She pouts and nods. She hates not being in control of any situations but this is for the best. I need to help my wife heal and in order to do that, I need to keep her away from the office for maybe a few weeks. There is still the issue of Princess Zisanele to be handled. God. Why did my mother go for a king? Kwase kuphele amadoda?

She rolls her eyes. “You know damn right that I trust her.” She then takes a deep breath and look up. After a minute or so, she looks at me. “So where are we going?”
I grin. “It’s a surprise.” She chuckles, shaking her head.
“I am the queen of vacation planning. I don’t know why, but I don’t trust you.” I laugh.

MISS NONKOSI

It took 24 hours for Queen Lisa to get back to her with the footage that she required. The video showed Manuel cornering Melamina. There was even an up-close clip that showed Melamina’s reaction to everything. Queen Lisa even managed to get a clip with audio in it. It was enough proof to clear Queen Melamina’s name. There was also a corridor clip that showed the person who took the video that was trending.

After viewing and double-checking them, Nonkosi sent them to the police department in Lima and then forwarded the clips to different big media houses. Almost an hour later, the clips were trending and the sides had been switched. They were now behind Princess Melamina and #Justice4Futhi was the second trending hashtag on Twitter. It’s funny how people are quick to switch sides in these streets.

“Well this is nice.” A voice startled her and she looked up to see Zanele, the Johannesburg CEO, walking in her office, looking and smelling like a millionaire.
Nonkosi chuckled and stood up. She met her halfway and the two women shared a hug. “I thought you were going to tell me after you had landed so that I can get someone to fetch you.”
“There is nothing a navigator can’t fix, darling. These offices make me jealous. Like why does Futhy want to outshine the last office every time? How is she going to top this one off?” she asked, sashaying around and Nonkosi laughed.
“You know our boss. She probably already have a couple of ideas for the next three countries. She is that brilliant.”

Zah smiled. “Yeah, she is. I saw the trending clips. Should I assume that you were the one who cleared Futhy’s name?” Nonkosi nodded. In a way, she was standing before her role model, Futhy’s very first personal assistant turned CEO turned one of her closest friends. She didn’t see herself leaving Melamina’s side though because being in the same space with her, travelling with her, working with her, did a lot for her. “Good job young lady. I don’t know if she will be able to replace you. You are doing a way better job than me.”

Nonkosi chuckled nervously. “I don’t wanna be replaced. I am content with where I am.”
Zah gave her an understanding smile. “I know but Futhy loves seeing people prosper. She will push you to become who you dreamed of becoming growing up and she won’t take no for an answer.”
Nonkosi snorted. “Well she already tried but failed. Guess I am that good at my job.”

Zah laughed. “You’re stubborn. Now seeing that I am already here, how about I meet everyone and then get settled before I meet up with the potential candidates for the CEO posts?”
“Sounds like a plan. Right this way.” Nonkosi led her out of the office.

JABULILE CELE

Being a mother means you never stop worrying about your kids. It means you worry about them from the moment you discover about their existence in your womb, even when they are all grown with their own families to worry about, and even after they are dead, you worry if they have crossed over or they have connected with your ancestors. Which is why I am worried sick about my daughter’s marital problems even though I know they don’t concern me. I know my daughter. Not once in her life has she ever mentioned being okay with a polygamous marriage. I remember this one time we were watching an episode of Uthando Nesthembu and she said “I think I would die before I am forced to share my husband. If ever I find myself agreeing to that in the future, just know that I am not okay and that if I settle there, I will be trading away a part of my soul.”

“What are you thinking about?” my husband’s voice draws me out of my deep thoughts and I look at him.
“This issue of Kuhle and that little princess. It’s not sitting well with me. You know how royal families can force you to do something even if you don’t want to, and I feel like they will force Kuhle to marry this girl and he might decide to do so just for peace sake.”

“But then that would mean he doesn’t love my daughter as much as he claimed to and I will be forced to bring her back home kicking and screaming just to protect her worth and her peace of mind. I don’t mind even taking the rascals in. handling their noise is better than sacrificing my daughter’s soul.” He answers honestly and I smile. He would do anything for Lwandle, even if it means walking through fire and pissing off the devil in the process. “How is she doing by the way? I have been trying to call her to no avail.”

“Kuhle said he is taking her away for a vacation. They also took the kids. She deserves some time out. After that, maybe she will come back to SA to handle this royal wife issue once and for all.” My phone beeps and I frown. Who has the nerve to send me a text at 9pm?

My husband gives me a questioning look. “Should I be worried, Jabu?”
I snort. “You know I would never cheat on your big stubborn head. I value other people’s lives.” He laughs as I take my phone to check the message. Hebana. “We have been summoned to the royal house for a family meeting in two weeks. We are expecting to bring gogo and mkhulu.”

“Haibo. And then?” I shrug. I hope this is not about the royal wife because those people will know the real me if they keep on pushing for this.