CHAPTER 22

NQABAYOMUZI ZULU
Approaching Zisanele as myself was never going to be an easy task. I mean, the last time we talked, I basically put her in her place in a rather harsh manner. Although what I said was the truth, I feel like I should have handled things differently. I know I sounded like a number one stan of my sister in law and I have every right to be. The woman is amazing. She gave my brother 6 kids and raised two of his illegitimate children. She also loves him unconditionally and just bought him a Defender. Who can compete with that? I don’t see my brother’s head swaying for anyone, even a virgin princess.

I asked my sister, Lisa, to send Zisanele a text asking her to dinner. I knew Zisanele wasn’t going to deny an invite from a whole queen who also happens to be the sister of the crowned Zulu prince. I chose Lupa in Durban North Swapo Road for our dinner. Luckily it isn’t that busy and people who dine here don’t care about celebrities or socialites. They just live their rich lives peacefully.

The moment Zisanele steps into the restaurant, it’s like the world just stops. My God. What a creation. She is so petite but very beautiful. She walks with grace and elegance. She has a small smile on her face and she flashes her white teeth at the hostess as they exchange words. She is wearing a red bodycon dress with a matching lipstick. I think I have a boner from just looking at her. I quickly stand as the hostess leads her to my table. She stumbles a bit when she spots me and then stops walking. The hostess smiles before walking away.

“Mageba. I am supposed to be meeting Queen Mkhwanazi not you. Maybe I am in the wrong Lupa.” Her angelic voice states and I chuckle.
“You are in the right place at the right time, mtwana we Nguga. I am sorry for deceiving you. It’s just that I know you wouldn’t have come if I asked you out.” She frowns but moves closer. “Hear me out before you attempt to run out of here and break your neck.” She rolls her eyes and I take that as a win. I open a chair for her and she sits down. I also take my seat and signal for the waiter to come. She comes with a smile.

“Good evening once again and welcome to Lupa. I am Thandiwe and I will be your waiter for tonight. Can I get your drinks while you decide on your meal?” she asks and I page my drinks menu.
“A Lupa Merlot for me.” I speak up and she nods while jotting it down and then turns to Zisanele.
“Italian Job.” She responds effortlessly and gives the waiter the menu. She then looks at me. “The floor is all yours, Mr. Zulu.” I detect a bit of sarcasm from her tone but I deserve it.

“I will dive in head first. So don’t mind my directness. I am interested in you, Zisanele. I have had feelings for you since you were 17 and I never had the courage to come out and tell you all about it. I know my timing sucks with you nearly marrying my brother and all. But you know isiZulu sithi engakhali ifela embelekweni. So ngiyazibika kuwe ntokazi.” She frowns at me and then breaks into the most mesmerizing sound I have ever heard. Her laughter makes her look even younger than she is. I think I am falling for her all over again. She then stops when she sees my serious facial expression.

“Wait, you’re not kidding?” I nod and she chuckles. “Your timing is impeccable though. Judging from your words the last time we spoke, it seems as if you are your brother’s keeper and you would do anything to keep your brother happy. Even go to the extreme lengths of marrying the girl who poses a threat in his marriage.”

I sigh. Of course she would think that. Everyone will think that. But I have started this and I have to see it through even if I get rejected. I smile at the waiter when she brings our drinks. I take some courage from a sip of my beverage then stare at the princess. “On your seventeenth birthday, you attended the reed dance at the Hlalankosi Palace. You looked like a goddess in your colourful traditional wear. I even took a picture with my then phone. Wanna see it?” she just looks at me with no reaction. I take my phone out and show her the picture. She was laughing at something my father said. She gasps.

“I have never seen this picture of me before.”
“That’s because I have never shared it with anyone before. It’s too precious to me. Then I remember your 18th birthday gala dinner. I arrived late because I was out of town but I got to see you cut your cake. I overheard you talking to your friend and you said you hated the cake design because your mom chose it without your concern.” She chuckles. Okay. I am winning.

“You are sounding like a stalker in my books.” I laugh. I sound like a stalker in my own head.
“I didn’t mean to come off that way. When we got to your palace for lunch two months back, I was taken away by your beauty. You are a humble person, Zisanele. You are so kind and you treat people fairly. You are beautiful inside out and any man would be lucky to have you as a wife. I would be the luckiest man on earth if you were to become my wife. This is not me diverting your attention from my brother. This is just me stating my case. You don’t have to say anything now but if you think you can reciprocate my feelings in the near future, tell me and I will handle everything else.”

She takes a long sip of her cocktail before lifting her eyes to mine. “How would you do that?” I smile widely. This means I am winning her in a way and that’s a big win for me. She is interested. That’s all that matters.

PRINCESS ZISANELE MHLONGO

She walked into her room feeling so relieved and over the moon. She felt like nothing could dampen her mood. Not her mother’s snarky remarks or her father’s overbearing behaviour. Her crush had a crush on her. A dream come true. Who was that lucky in life? Maybe 20% of the women population. She couldn’t wait to tell Phumzile the wonderful news. Nqabayomuzi said he would take care of everything, so she had nothing to worry about. She freshened up and just as she was getting ready for bed, the door to her room opened and her mother walked in with their royal healer. She frowned and stood up.

“Hey ma and MaMsomi. Is there something you need?” with MaMsomi, nothing good was going to come out of this encounter. She was going to try and deny whatever proposal they had for her.

“MaMsomi figured we should up our game with regards to the Zulu prince. We all know that he loves his wife. After the car stunt she pulled, we should do something strong enough to make the future king’s head sway. So MaMsomi here came with a perfect portion. He will fall to his knees the next time he sees you. All you have to do is bath with it twice and then apply it to your lashes when you visit the palace again. Everything will fall into place.” Her mom squealed like a little girl and Zisanele felt so uncomfortable.

“Here you go, young princess. Use this as your mother has instructed and all our plans will fall in motion.” MaMsomi smiled at her as she handed her a small bottle with a brown substance. Zisanele gave them a small smile and faked a yawn.
“Thank you for the help, ma. I hope it works. Can I rest now? I had a long day.”

Her mom smiled. “Sure. I am sure being out with your future sister in law tired you out. We will leave you be.” She walked out with MaMsomi and Zisanele sighed when the door closed behind the two older women. She rushed to lock it and practically sprinted to the bathroom. She poured all of the bottle’s contents into the toilet and flushed it. She then threw the bottle in her sanitary bin and sat on the bathroom mat. This was going to be hard. How was Nqaba going to pull this off?