CHAPTER 16

I never thought that my husband would be this calm during a situation like this. I know he is in touch with his emotions, so I expected him to break down half the time, but he proved me wrong. Noma only stayed for a day with me before she had to go back home. She is a queen and a business woman after all. She can’t just up and disappear because of an old woman like me but I was glad that she came for me. I know Lee would have also come but she is taking grief harder than all of us expected. She even said something about being in England longer than anticipated. I just hope she doesn’t become a permanent resident there.

My husband brought our family here in Philippines, on this beautiful secluded island. The boat just dropped us off at the pier which leads straight to the cottages of El Nido Garden Resort. This place is magnificent and kind of therapeutic to look at. The cottages are literally floating on water. This is something I have only seen on Pinterest and not live. Getting here was a lot of administration though. We had to board a plane at Manila domestic airport, catch a car ride to the resorts jelly lounge before we could ride a boat that led us here. Lot of work, I tell you.

“This is really beautiful, ma.” Mahle swoons and I smile at her.
“Your father and sis Namuhla planned all this.” I respond.
“You mean sis Namuhla planned all this? Because I don’t see dad coming up with a vacation destination this beautiful.” Zweli comments and I laugh while Kuhle chuckles.

A young woman who is with three young men is already waiting for us at the end of the pier. They give us that wide hospitality smile that we see in brochures.

“Good day and welcome to El Nido Garden Resort. My name is Dalisay and I am your hostess. If you need anything during your stay, please don’t hesitate to shout or ask these men behind me to assist you. Now how about we show you to your rooms? I am sure you are tired after all that travelling.” I could use a power nap.

“I am going to be sleeping with you and daddy, right ma?” Nomandla asks and I quickly shake my head. Yes, we came with them but I just wanna enjoy the bed alone with my husband.
“I am going to have to disappoint you, baby. But you are going to share a room with Mahle and Zobuhle. How cool is that?” I ask enthusiastically.
“I am with Zoh.” Manelisi quickly states, pulling his twin away and I almost laugh. I wonder if they will be this close when they are teenagers.

“Hawu, ndoda, kanti didn’t we agree that we will be sharing on our way here?” Zweli asks, looking very disappointed at his sell-out brother. Kuhle just laughs.

“For tonight only, I will be sleeping with the boys while mommy will be with the girls. Then tomorrow I will have my wife back and I don’t care how y’all will be sleeping, as long as it’s indoors.” He resolves as he pulls his most troublesome son who is grinning like a cashmere cat. Why is he even grinning?

My husband chose beachside rooms which are facing the island’s pristine beach, so that we will all be in one space. As we enter, the girls take in the room and then they shove their bags in the closet before coming back out.

“So what do we do first?” The ever curious Mahle asks.
“I don’t know about you, but I am going to take a shower and then sleep my jet lag off.” I answer, already taking my clothes off. Zobuhle pouts and before she can say anything, I interrupt her. “Don’t you wanna shower with mommy and then share a bed with her?” I ask in a cute voice and she smiles before nodding. She is quick to take her clothes off and rushes to the bathroom. I follow her and soon after, we are joined by Mahle and Nomandla. It’s not like they had a choice.
***

Well the nap took longer than we hoped and we woke up when it was almost time for dinner. So here we are, wearing light clothes because it is so hot here. We are escorted to the beachside restaurants. We get settled and the kids start ordering like crazy. I keep stealing glances at my husband who is seated across me. He is looking so chilled in an actual vest and summer shorts. He has Londisizwe in his arms, so he doesn’t even notice that I keep staring at him.

“So, when are you coming back home, mom?” the question comes from Zweli and I turn to look at him. Ow shit. He currently resents me for abandoning him.
“After this, we are all headed home. I might stick around for longer and postpone the launches. Maybe we can take a mother-son vacation after this.” I wink at him and he chuckles. “So, do you have a girlfriend yet?” his eyes pop out and he blushes.

“Come on, mom. I am too young for that.” He answers, still blushing.
“Then who is Blue?” Zobuhle asks, squinting her eyes at him. “You said she is your girlfriend.”
“Aybo, Zoh. Can’t you just keep quiet for once?” he asks, with a flabbergasted look on his face.
“Freedom of speech, brother.” Hebana. What does this six-year old know about freedom of speech? How long have I been away?

“Baby.” Zobuhle looks at me. “Rule number one for siblings, you never tell on each other. Rule number two, you never lie to your parents.”
“But what is more important between rule one and two?” she asks innocently.
“Depends on the situation.” Mahle shrugs. “If it’s a matter of life and death, sure you can tell the parents but if it’s not, then shush.” I missed this. Being able to engage in light conversation with my kids with no one hovering over us. Just us.

“Mom, since our birthday is coming soon, do we get to compile a wish list?” Manelisi asks. He is the forever quiet one. I wonder how he will be like as a king. All I know is my son is going to be king one day. Our ancestors have shown me his older version sitting on the throne and making us proud.

“What do you want, my love?”
“A scooter, seeing the latest Marvel movie in LA, a drone and…” Kuhle laughs.
“A drone? Really Mane? What makes you think we would get you something like that before your 18th birthday?” his father asks him. Maybe he meant a toy drone. He couldn’t possibly ask for a technologically advanced drone.

“Mahlobo Tech just released a smaller version of an MQ-9 reaper and Funokwakhe’s father is going to buy it for him. I also with to have it on my birthday.” He pleads. What does my baby know about military drones?

“I might get you a scooter and a German shepherd but the later will stay at the Celes residence and you will only see it when you go there because your brother is allergic.” My last born, Kuhlesibonge, is allergic to cats and dogs. Manelisi smiles widely.

“Thank you so much ma. And the…”
“The drone will be your eighteenth birthday present. We don’t want you having tech in the house that might be dangerous to your younger siblings, and you know how curious Milisuthando is.” Kuhle responds.

“I heard that.” My troublesome son mutters in response, as he nibbles on the snacks the waiters brought. I just laugh. I love how crazy he is. It’s like a mixture of Gcinokuhle and Noma. Unpredictable and crazy. He is just a breath of fresh air. And too smart for his age.

“How much did you get on that school project, Mahle?” I enquire and she looks at me.

“98%. I don’t know what went wrong and the teacher couldn’t tell me why I got 98%. The project deserved 100% but it is what it is.” She shrugs. My baby is so smart and she thrives for 100% marks on all her subjects.
“Your teacher is just jealous that you’re royalty.” Zweli comments.

Our food arrives and we start eating. Well, the quads know how to feed themselves, so everyone is eating. They keep dissing each other and listening to them is honestly the most fun I have had in a long time. This, quality family time, beats everything. And I am healing inside. Who knew I only needed to spend time with my kids just so I could heal from that mini trauma? When we are done eating, the kids go play at the beach and my husband and I take a stroll.

“You are so beautiful.” He starts off and I giggle. That’s so random.
“Thank you, Ndabezitha. You are also looking very handsome and sexy in those shorts.”

“I know, right? The media would have a field day about this. Naming me the nation’s bae.” I laugh and he chuckles before placing his arm around my shoulder and bringing me closer to him. He can’t handle the distance. “How about a night time selfie?” he takes out his phone and snaps a few pictures. In all of them, I am laughing like crazy. It is so unlike him to take selfies. Mahle and Zobuhle must be rubbing off him. “I want a daughter, mamakhe.” I stop walking and just look at him. Hebana. Is Kuhle crazy? “Don’t look at me like that. We have so many boys but only three girls. I want another one. I will buy you a yacht if you say yes.”

I smile widely and he smiles back. “That would be a big fat NO dear husband. I am not popping out babies anymore. I should have taken out my womb after Kuhlesibonge. Hhaybo we Kuhle. I am no concubine.”
“I really thought I had you on the yacht thing.”
“Even if you promised to buy me an island, I would say no.”
“Fine. Whatever. But should you get pregnant on your own terms, I am not buying you a push out gift.”
“Then I shall give that princess to Ndosi omkhulu and Jabu. They have too much time on their plates.”

He scoffs. “You are impossible, do you know that?” I know and he chuckles. “How about some sex under the stars? I will be quick and quiet. The kids won’t hear us.” I laugh. Oww, how I love my husband. But in a way, I know he is serious about having a daughter. I wish someone can come and erase that idea in his head. We already have 8 crazies. We don’t need more.