CHAPTER 3

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Mrs. Zulu. You are more stunning in person." Manuel Diaz compliments as we meet up in the lobby of the Lima DCC offices. I chuckle. He is cute and seems like a charmer but it ends there. I am not that kind of woman anymore.

"The pleasure is all mine." I look around the building. People are moving in furniture and placing it in the right places. There is an old woman who is barking out orders in Spanish. I know basics about the language because I hired a language tutor who have taught me Spanish, German, Italian, French and other international languages that most of my clients speak. Nothing flatters a foreign client like you learning their language.

"The offices and lobby will be ready in two days and the employees can start working. Together with HR, we have employed a few individuals who we think are qualified and fit for the company and the DCC brand." He explains and I nod. Not that I don't trust him or the HR, but I would like to see those they have chosen and re-interview them before determining whether they are fit candidates for my company. I am not saying everyone in the world is kind and open minded as me, but I am not about to unknowingly hire rude people. I need to see them first.

"If possible, call in those candidates. Tell them to come here this evening. I need to see for myself if I can trust them with my company and image." Manuel frowns but nods nonetheless.
"I will do so, boss. Do you want a tour?" I shake my head.
"You can lead me to my office though. I have a few calls to return and a meeting to prepare for." We get into the elevator and it ascends.

"Entonces, siempre viajas con guardaespaldas? (So, are you always travelling with bodyguards?)" He asks as the elevator opens and we enter the top floor.
"Soy una princesa, despues de todo, y una exitosa mujer de negocios. (I am a princess, after all, and a successful business woman.) One can never be too careful. So my safety is very important."
He smiles. "You sound so sexy in Spanish. You should speak it more often."
I chuckle. "Are you flirting with me, Manuel?"

He opens the door for me and grins. "I am just complimenting a beautiful woman. Is that against South African law? That's not an issue this side." He smirks. Damn, he is trouble but I will have to set some boundaries because none of my employees ever speak to me in this manner.

"I know my beauty and sexual appeal can shocking and too much, after all, that's how I charmed a prince. But as my employee, you are allowed to compliment it once and get over it. So you get a free pass for this morning only. If you continue doing it, I might think you are really into me and we might have a problem because I don't work with people who probably undress me with their eyes in the boardroom."

He chortles. "It's not that deep, boss. Anyways, if you need anything, my office is right next to yours. Just shout and I will be here. I will get to contacting the employees for you."

"Do that. And my PA will come to you in an hour. She had to take care of some things first. Please close the door on your way out." He nods and heads out. My guards set things up for me around and I place my laptop bag on the desk. There are still a few missing office equipment that hasn't been brought in but this will do.

I sit down and start by calling my grumpy husband. After that, I get some updates from my CEOs on all my branches and then I start working and replying some personal emails that my PA always highlight for me. I know I have to done here at the office by 4. That's one of the disadvantages for bringing the quads to my trips. I have to be back home to play and bond with them for at least an hour before they bath, eat dinner and sleep. If not, Nomandla will surely tell on me. That kid is a sell out.

***

"I know some of you are confused by this sudden meeting. You all expected to start work in two days but I am a more hands on director. As much as I won't have a personal relationship with every employee working for Dubandlela Construction Company, I have a way of reading people and that is one of the things that have made working at all the branches effective and positive. We have at least 10% disputes within the staff and none when it comes to the employees and clients. I am not being stereotypical but I know Peruvian people have temper. I just need to know that you will keep your tempers in check, never do something that will damage the reputation of the company but in so doing, make sure to keep the relationship between you and the client strictly professional and never something more."

"But you married a client." One of the women remarks. Adriana is her name. She seems feisty.
"Well, Adriana my dear, I never dated my husband. We had a few encounters and when he cut ties with his ex wife, he came straight to my house and proposed. So I am an exception. And also we are not equals, so never compare yourself to the founder of the company. Any more concerns about my marriage?" I ask, looking around and nobody answers. If Adriana behaves in this manner then I don't think she will have a permanent position in my company. "I will now have a one-on-one conversation with all of you, which basically determine your future here at DCC. Thank you. Adriana, you are up first." I head out of the boardroom and she follows me to my office. "Sit down." I gesture at the visitors' chair and she quietly sits down.

"I am not really a forward person, I just tend to put my foot in my mouth at times. That's a bad habit, I know, but I promise I will stop it. I don't want it jeopardizing my future." She starts off and I sit down across her.

"Everyone who has worked for me knows that I am not a judgmental person, but I don't take kindly to disrespect or snarky comments. How sure are you that you won't respond to a client in the same manner? I need someone who can think before responding. I need someone who can think on their feet but at the same time be proper and professional. Can you do that, Adriana?"

She swallows hard. "You have nothing to worry about, boss. I won't disappoint you or drag down the company name." I nod. I hope so because I can see passion in her eyes.

***

A call from Gogo Mnguni comes in just as I close the door to the quads' bedroom. I slip into my bedroom, close the door and then answer it.

"Thokoza gogo."
"Thokoza nkosazana. Why haven't you prayed since you landed that side? You have your own house that you are renting. You should have called upon the Cele and Zulu ancestors to be with you and surround you in that foreign environment. Why haven't you done that?"

Gogo Mnguni is one tough gobela. I used to be shocked by her powerful gift. She can see things from miles away and even sense them. That's why her statement or question doesn't surprise me. She did say I should turn one of the bedrooms here into my prayer room, a place where I can connect with my ancestors and God. My little sanctuary.

"I will do so, gogo. The moment I come back from work tomorrow, I will prepare that room. I promise."
"You know how much I hate procrastination, nkosazana. Your enemies are working overtime and here you are, postponing important things. Do it now, Melamina, or else your enemies will be one step ahead and you won't like that." I swallow hard. That does not sound good.

"I will do so now, gogo. I promise."
"Pray before you sleep and don't forget the midnight prayer." She hangs up. Having a gobela who is also a God fearing woman can be a blessing.

I change into a white maxi dress and put on a white doek. Then I cover my shoulders with a white shawl. I take my praying kit and head to where my guards are at. They all stand when I enter.

"I need you to move all the furniture in the first guestroom downstairs. You can place it in the storeroom or the pool house but I need that room empty." I order and they all nod. Then they head out.

I place my kit in the kitchen counter and then take a bucket. I fill it with cold water, light a candle and then pray for the water. When I am done, I sprinkle it outside and inside the house. By the time I place the bucket back to its place, my guards are done clearing the room. I head inside and lay down a grass mat on one corner. I kneel down and light a candle while burning incense. I sing a song and start praying after that.