CHAPTER 28

KUHLEKONKE ZULU

It took my family less than 3 hours to get here. MaShezi burned incense and did a lot of things but my wife did not wake up. We had no choice but to inform her parents about this but I did not tell them over the phone. I just told them to come over to my place as soon as possible. Ndosi did not to come here clueless about the situation, but I just downplayed it and said Futhy was sick, nothing serious. They finally arrive after thirty minutes of calling them. Futhy is lying on a grass at in her prayer room. MaShezi believes that some miracle will occur if she is near to her ancestors. I don’t know what to think at this point. Ndosi walks in with Jabu hot on his heels. He comes straight to me without greeting anyone.

“Where is she?” he asks in a low voice.
I swallow hard. I didn’t do anything this time around but Ndosi can make you feel guilty even if you are not at fault. “Follow me.” I lean them to the prayer room where we find MaShezi busy running her hands through Futhy’s hair. Jabu rushed by her daughter’s side while Ndosi stands on the door, seemingly glued to the doorway.

“What happened to my daughter?” he manages to ask and MaShezi looks up.
“She is in a spiritual coma. One of her ancestors, either her maternal, paternal or marital has trapped her under. I don’t know what to do to wake her up. I am powerless.”

“How can you be powerless at a time like this when my daughter needs you the most? Are you for real? If roles were reversed, she would be trying different ways to help you rather than say she is powerless. Consult MaShezi. What kind of a Sangoma are you if you can’t consult with abaphansi? Or should we go to Ghost?”

“Mhlobo wami, I understand you are mad, but That’s not the way you address my wife or anyone’s wife for that matter.” Dad states from behind Ndosi who just scoffs and walks further into the prayer room. His phone rings and he takes it out. Phones are not allowed in my wife’s prayer room but I am not about to reprimand Ndosi.

“MaNgwenya, how are you?... What’s going on?... Hold up. Calm down and tell me what’s wrong… are you sure?... Okay. I need you to take a deep breath and be emotionless for a moment. Bring him to Futhy’s house here in Durban. Can you do that for me? Will you be able to drive?... Okay. See you soon mtanami.” He hangs up and literally slides down the wall until his butt collides with the cold floor.

“Siya, what’s going on? What did Thobekah say?” Jabu asks in a shaky voice.
“He didn’t wake up. You know how he is an early bird but for some reason, he didn’t wake up today even though he had an important TV interview. She took him to the hospital and the doctors found nothing wrong with him.”
Jabu sobs and Ndosi extends his arms. She crawls into them and let’s out a heart breaking cry. “What is going on with our kids, Siya? This is related to us. This has something to do with us. What if someone is bewitching us?” Ndosi doesn’t respond but just continues hugging his wife. Her phone beeps and Ndosi takes it out of her pocket.

“That’s Busi’s husband. He is on his way to Morningside. Apparently Busi has been in a coma for three days and the doctor decided to discharge her since there was nothing wrong with her.”

What in the hell is happening with Futhy and her siblings? “I will send someone to check on Gcino and also on Thando overseas.” I offer and Ndosi nods at me. This is no time to be a weakling. If my wife was in my position, she would burn the world down just to get a solution that doesn’t involve losing me. So I am going to do the same. “I think we should inform Gogo Mnguni about this. She might give us some insight.”

“Call her, son.” Dad suggests and I nod before taking out my phone and dialling her number.
“You are disrespecting Melamina’s prayer room by walking around in shoes and using cell phones there.” That’s how she answers the phone. It’s like she is present in the room. “You will have to pay for that once she is okay, but that’s not why you called me. You need to know why she and her siblings aren’t waking up.”

“Yebo gogo. We need you help.”
“Put me on loudspeaker.” I do as she ordered. “Jabulile.” Futhy’s mom looks up. “Your ancestors are not happy about your father’s choices and now they are taking it out on you seeing that you did not take the church route or the traditional route. They know of your children but they don’t acknowledge them, which is why they have kidnapped them. You have to dig deep into your father’s past and go to where he grew up. They might have answers to your problems. I don’t need to tell you that if you don’t fix this before the week ends, all your children will die, starting with your youngest.” She hangs up leaving me confused as hell.

Why do ancestors always go this? Why do they always go hard on the living? Can’t they convey their messages peacefully like via a dream or something? Why does it have to be this drastic? I don’t want my wife to die, so I will do anything and that means tracking dead people to bring her back.

“Come, my love.” Ndosi states as he stands up and helps his wife up. “We don’t have any time to waste. We need to leave.” Jabu nods and they both head out. Poor woman. She looks drained.
“Where are they going?” I ask no one in particular because I know my parents know nothing about this.

“Jabu is originally from KwaNongoma in the Bhekumthetho Village. That’s where she grew up. That’s where her family is at. So I am guessing they are going there.” Dad answers and the steps out.
“What do I say to the children? Already they were asking questions this morning and I can’t deal with Sibonge’s weird comments.” I say to MaShezi.

“Don’t worry about your kids. Focus on helping your in laws the best way you possibly can and as soon s possible.”