CHAPTER 11

KUHLEKONKE ZULU

Mrs. Nkosi was given a dignified send off and no one caused any drama during the ceremonies. Her colleagues’ spoke highly of her and her neighbours had only good things to say about their fallen friend. But you never speak ill of the dead in their funeral unless you are provoking karma. I had to attend the funeral to show my support to Lee. I consider her and Noma my friends since they are best friends with my wife. But I had to leave the day after the funeral because my life and work is in South Africa. My wife, however, said she was going to stay for a while in England just to be there for Lee.

Seeing Lee and her siblings suffer because of their loss kind of reminded me of the time when we lost KaMahlaba. I don’t think I would ever recover from her death. She was the first woman I ever called mother besides my own mother. There were times where she had to take care of me in my mom’s absentia. She never not once made me feel like I wasn’t her biological child. I know her death did not go in vain but I truly wish I could’ve traded my aunts’ lives for hers because my children deserved to meet and be raised by a phenomenal woman like her. I once walked in on my father sitting at their matrimonial bed and weeping like a little girl. I still remember the exact words he said to me.

“Son, people may think that my wife’s passing does not have much effect on me since I have four other wives who still love and care for me. But they all play different parts in my life and in a way, they all kept me sane and functioning. MaDlomo is my pillar. KaMahlaba was my peace. MaShezi is my chaos. MaDubazane is my reasoning and MaMolefe is my light. I don’t know how to move on with my life as if I hadn’t just lost my peace and calm. How do I move on, son? How?”

Till today, I still don’t have an answer for him. If roles were reversed, I probably would have followed my wife to the grave and hoped that my parents would take care of our kids because I simply can’t see myself living in a world without Futhi. I don’t know how I survived before meeting her. It was probably my ancestors’ will that kept me going.

When I finally arrive at the palace, I head over to the main dining hall where I hope to find my mothers. Entering the dining hall, I get the surprise of a lifetime. Princess Lusanele is chatting with my aunts and mothers and they are sharing a joke. This has got to be some kind of a misunderstanding. I clear my throat and they all turn to me. Mom is the first one who gets up from her sit and comes to hug me.

“My baby. It feels like ages since I last saw you. You look good. Mela has been feeding you well, huh?” she wiggles her eyebrows and I just laugh. She is being noisy.
“Ifutha lothando ma.” She breaks into laughter and my other mothers come to hug me.
“Mamkhulu is right, Kgosi. It seems like you have gained a kilo or two. And you are even glowing. If you were a woman, I would say there is a bun in the oven.” MaMolefe teases and I chuckle.

“Come on. You guys are the worst.” They laugh as they lead me to the table. “Bo aunty, Princess Lusanele.” I shake her hand and she smiles widely. “I didn’t know we were expecting a visit from you. Your father never said anything.” I state as I take a seat opposite her and next to MaShezi.

She blushes. “It was unplanned. I just had time on my plate and I figured I should stop by for a visit since your aunts have been begging me to come and see this beautiful palace. I hope it’s not an inconvenience to you.” She blinks a few times, giving me a not so innocent smile and I chuckle inwardly. This is going to be a long day.

“Not at all. I just came home to see my parents and siblings. After that I will return to Durban to my kids and work. I am sure they miss me.”
“Where is your wife? Isn’t she supposed to be by your side or taking care of your kids?” Hebana. MaShezi chuckles as she takes a sip of her tea.

“She is in England and I think she will head back to South America after she is done taking care of her friend. I married an independent woman, not a nanny. She is free to do what she pleases as long as she doesn’t humiliate me or our family. Anything else you wanna know about my wife that you haven’t read on the media?” I ask, raising my eyebrows and her cheeks flush. That would have been cute if I were at least 18 years younger.

“No, Your Royal Highness. I am sorry if I came off as offending or too forward.”
“No. don’t stress about it. I like talking about my wife. As a matter of fact, you just made me miss her more. Let me call her and tell her I got home safe.” I get up from my chair.
“Are you spending the night?” MaDubazane asks and I nod. “Then I will prepare your favourite.” She winks and I smile. I adore all my mothers.

Stepping into the mini library inside our home that is filled with books on Nguni history (almost all Nguni surnames and their origins), I call my wife and she answers a few rings later.

“Zulu Ka Malandela.” She answers energetically and I blush. This woman has the power to make a man in his late thirties blush. Give her the flowers she deserves.
“The things you do to me, MaNdosi.” She giggles. “Anyways, I called to tell you that I landed home safely and got the warmest welcome from my mothers. MaDubazane is preparing my favourite meal as we speak.”

She groans. “Now you make me want to come home. It’s been so long since I was last pampered by them and drank Lubelihle wines under the berry tree. Yoh, I should clear my schedule for them.” I chuckle. Knowing how busy she is, she really have to put them in her diary in order to spend time with them.
“I am sure they would love that. Anyhow, we have an unexpected guest at the palace.” She goes silent for a whole minute before clearing her throat.

“Why is she there?” somehow, I am not shocked that she figured that out this quickly.
“She gave me some stupid reason and I didn’t believe it. I think my aunts had a hand in this. I just don’t know how to handle them without being too harsh. What should I do, mamakhe?” I ask and she sighs.

“I need to go back to Peru and see how things are at the office and if I am satisfied, I will leave Manuel in charge and come back home. We need to sort this out as soon as possible because I honestly don’t want it to drag until it becomes a big issue which might potentially hurt our kids.”

I lean against the wall and take a deep breath. “You are right, babe. I guess I will wait for you to come back and we will deal with this together. But I am heading home tomorrow. I don’t want the kids reporting me to you again.” She chuckles.
“Coward.” She murmurs and I just grin. She manages to put a smile on my face even in tough situations.

We talk for a few more minutes before I leave the library and go in search for my father. I saw his guards outside, so I know that he is home. I find him in his study and he smiles widely when our eyes meet. He wraps up the conversation with his PA before she heads out, closing the door behind her.

“Mageba. I wasn’t expecting to see you here so soon.” We share a hug and I smile.
“I missed mom’s breastmilk. That’s why I am here.” He cracks up before pulling me to the couch so that we can sit.
“I am glad you are here. I saw the young princess downstairs and I have never been so confused in my life. What is going on Kuhle?”

I sigh. “Apparently my aunts feel like I need a royal wife and they want me to marry Princess Lusanele. My wife knows and she is not taking this well. Also, I don’t wanna marry her, dad. Melamina is the only woman I want. Our ancestors approved of her. She has given our family more children than any royal wife in history. She is blessed beyond measure and I love her. I know very well that if the family keeps on pushing this Lusanele issue, she might walk and I can’t handle life without her.” My heart feels heavy as I imagine the kind of pain my wife is in because of this issue.

“Yoh. Son. This is difficult. But I trust you and your judgement. I want you to know that I am hundred percent behind you on any decision you might take. Do what you feel is right for you as an individual because you will have to live with the results of your decisions. What is your mind telling you?”

I look at him. “I don’t care of Manelisi is not fully royal. He is my son and the heir to the throne. He is the only one who will take my place after I leave this earth and his son after him. I hate how people are saying my wife is ‘umuntukazana’ (commoner) just because they want they will to be done.”

He nods. “If that is your decision, then I am going to support you. After you deal with this drama, I need to have a meeting with you, your wife and all your siblings. For now, show me the kind of man I raised and handle this before it blows out of proportion.”