23

On the plane ride back to New York the next day, Grace had sprawled out on the couch with her feet pressed against the back of the seat adjacent to it. Her backside was flat against the cushions as Taylor, across from her, typed away on her computer.

Grace was using the plane's wifi to do a deep dive into ADHD. What Eleanor had said had left an impression on her and she couldn't quite shake the feeling that it hit a little too close to home. When she was drinking, it was a lot easier to ignore the nagging in her head about certain things and to hide those behaviours she was told as a little kid were unacceptable, but Taylor had indulged in Grace's quirks and she felt comfortable being herself.

The missing social cues, hating so many textures, obsessing over random things, searching out bursts of happiness, counting her steps and constantly forgetting to empty the dishwasher, Taylor let her be herself. Taylor had even bought a little sign that she stuck to the dishwasher door that she could slide to indicate whether the dishes inside were clean or dirty and Grace constantly forgot to switch it even when she remembered to do them.

Combining that with the constant feelings of never feeling good enough (although she wasn't sure if that was related or if that was just her fucked up childhood) and the increased risk of addiction (hello alcoholism), Grace was mentally preparing to make the phone call to her doctor's office about making an appointment.

"What are you up to over there? Hacking the Pentagon?" Taylor asked as she got bored of her emails. She needed to answer more of them, especially with the album release less than a handful of days out, but a short break wouldn't hurt.

"No," Grace replied. She didn't know if she wanted to talk about it or keep it to herself. Keeping's things from Taylor was hard and in the past it had led to issues, "I'm researching Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, Eleanor has it."

"Yeah," Taylor hummed in response. She noticed how Grace's attention did not fully leave the screen she was looking at, "Some people I know do, too."

"What do you think about that?" Grace finally shut the device off and rested it against her chest as she looked at her girlfriend.

"What do I think about Nellie having it?"

"Just in general?" Grace questioned. She shifted her eyes for a moment with the pressure of the contact being too much but then looked back when Taylor started to respond.

"Not much, babe," Taylor shrugged, "Are you asking because you think you might have it?"

"That's absolutely, undoubtedly preposterous," Grace diverted her eyes again. The denial lasted mere seconds, "Yes."

"I for one, am glad you brought it up first because one of the interns very politely asked me if you did last month and so many dots connected. I didn't know how to broach it without sounding awful, but like, yeah you might. But whether you do or you don't, or even if something else is going on with your brain, we're good. Don't worry," Taylor had been keeping that close to her chest for a while, she felt lighter getting it out.

"Thank you," Grace smiled weakly, "Which of the interns betrayed me?"

"None of your business."

"I'll hack your phone records and your email."

"It was in person, you'll never find out."

"Boo," Grace stuck her tongue out and sighed with disappointment, "Did you know that there's an entire abandoned theme park in New Orleans? Eleanor was telling me about it yesterday, it's been closed for a dozen years but they use it to film movies. One of the Percy Jackson movies was partly filmed there, which is cool because we watched those two weeks ago."