45

"Hi, darling," Grace said as she placed the phone between her ear and shoulder. She was standing over a display of engagement rings with Parker, it was their first stop after dropping Sprinkle Dog back at Parker's mountainous mansion in Utah.

"Hey! Guess what? I was just gifted the coolest socks ever, they have cats on them. Cats!" Taylor excitedly rambled off for another second as Grace pointed at one she wanted a closer look at. She couldn't exactly tell Taylor it was a bad time, she needed to be discreet.

"What colour are they?" Was the only thing Grace could think of asking. Parker gave her a curious look as the attendant at the counter carefully placed the ring on the glass and Grace picked it up to inspect it.

"They're purple!"

"That's amazing," Grace chuckled, "I'm happy you like it. Actually, I'm glad you called, I'm putting together a budget with your stylist for some jewelry and she wanted to know if you would prefer gold or silver band rings? I was thinking silver."

"Depends on the outfit but in general probably silver because it won't clash as much," Taylor replied with a hum, "What event is this for?"

"Street wear," Grace shook her head, the one she was holding didn't feel right, "I'm going to get back to work now but call me when you get to your hotel after the show. I love you."

"I love you! Tell Amber and Gracie I said hi," Taylor smiled at hearing Grace say it. It never got tiring, the way the words sounded with Grace's voice. She always softened when she said it, like she was saying it as though it was a secret promise. It brought so much joy and comfort to Taylor each and every time Grace said it.

Grace ended the call and looked at Parker who was trying his best to laugh quietly, "I'm impressed that you can lie to her. She's had you wrapped around her finger for as long as I can remember."

"It killed me," Grace sighed, "Can we go a touch larger on the diamond? I like this style, I just think it needs more."

"How are you funding this purchase?" Parker inquired as the next ring came out of the case for Grace to get a feel for it.

"I do have a job, Parker. It pays well."

Parker did not have a job. Parker spent majority of his time hiking and skiing, which wasn't quite as entertaining as watching Grace live her double life but a close second. He didn't mind Robert Kent's blood money, money was money and it fed his dog.

His dog that Grace learned never stopped barking at passing cars on the road, or trying to slam herself into the window to attack them as if they were a threat.

Grace continued to scan the cabinet for a little while, moving from one section to the next until she saw the ring. It had a silver band, a princess cut diamond with six smaller ones down the each side, which meant there were thirteen on the ring in total, "That's the one."

That night, Grace had bought the ring and asked them to change the sizing so that it would be perfect when she did propose. The jeweller only needed a day or so, so she'd have it for when she got back to New York. She was sitting on Parker's gigantic couch, there was a pack of liquorice between them as Parker helped himself to a beer and Grace envied him.

"Golf is the least entertaining sport," the brunette told her former security guard as she reached for another rope of candy. He hummed as the golfer swung at another ball on the screen, the camera panned to it flying towards the green.

"You used to golf all the time with Charlie and the snobs."

"I know, that's why it's so boring," she began to pick it apart as her phone rang, "Oh fuck, it's a FaceTime call."