36

"Cut them off. Please, cut them off," Grace begged the doctor on the day she was supposed to get the casts off. It had been just over six weeks since the accident and if she had to spend Valentine's Day with the arm cages on, she was going to uncontrollably sob for the rest of her life.

Like seriously, she was going insane. Taylor had got bored one night and drew all over both of them, so now Grace had all sorts of strange misshapen doodles on her arms that she couldn't hide from the world. Her physiotherapist had teased her, her AA buddies had teased her, she had teased Taylor back with every single one of their jokes. Who draws stars like that?!

"We're going to cut them off," Grace had never heard a better sentence. Except maybe that Taylor loved her... or that Michael was still alive... it was definitely in the top five.

Grace went back to the apartment after her appointment and finally took a real shower. It was so strange getting shower without her beautiful blonde assistant standing outside the shower, ready to put shampoo in her hair. Showers and being naked had never felt so clinical until that happened and it would take a long time for them to recover from that phase of life.

She picked up the cats and hugged them, and then she opened the fridge and ate shredded cheese right out of the package before she washed her hands like a normal person and stopped on the way to Taylor's studio to pick up roses and chocolate.

It wasn't quite Valentine's Day yet but she had some thanking to do. Taylor was a real trooper and hardly every complained despite Grace pretty much constantly complaining and needing something.

Taylor was rehearsing with the band for tour that day. Grace knew it wasn't exactly within walking distance but she had started refusing car rides. She still couldn't remember the day of the accident, she even tried to talking to her new therapist about it but it seemed like it wasn't going to come back anytime soon.

A 'short' and cold forty minute walk later, Grace waved at the security guard in the hallway as she approached the room. She knocked and waited for the music to stop before the door opened and Taylor smiled at her from the microphone, "Hi!"

"Look, I have arms!" Grace showed the fact that she didn't have to wear a jacket three sizes too big to accommodate the casts. Taylor did a celebratory motion with her arms, pumping them up and down as she slid off the wooden stool and approached.

She told the band she'd be back and to take a break as she followed the brunette out the door and into the corridor, "I didn't hear from you so I thought they might've extended it. How do you feel? Feels good, right?"

"I had a shower! I washed my hands! I don't even have the shoulder sling. I'm a real person again who can get my debit card out of my wallet so I bought you this as a thank you and wanted to know if I could take you out for dinner tonight?" Grace passed the flowers over and added, "My treat, anywhere you want to go. I still know people."

Taylor hummed with agreement, "I probably won't be able to go until like, seven."

"Oh no, the entire night will be ruined. I required you to be home three hours ago," Grace sarcastically said with a smile, "Seven is fine. Think of where you want to eat and text me. I shall be on my way."

"So soon? You just got here! Stay for a while, watch me sing. Kiss me with your hands, don't just bring me flowers and leave," Taylor laughed.

For a moment, Grace forgot that she could initiate something other than a peck. Everything had been so restricted by her injuries but now, she put her arms around Taylor's neck and kissed her deeply. Her fingers tangled in the bottom of her hair, just below where the band for Taylor's ponytail went. It was so nice to feel that again, to be able to embrace her like she used to.