38

"Dude, leg, ow!" Taylor grimaced as Meredith swatted at her ankle in the bathroom. She had finished three shows so far and was waiting for the next couple in Pasadena. They were in her Los Angeles house, the same one that had a connecting gate between her home and Grace's former one.

They had found out during a drive by that it had been bought by some family that had kids toys everywhere on the lawn and Grace thought that was a perfectly suitable use for it. The new owners took a sledgehammer to the birth bath she hated because all it did was collect bird poop, she was happy to see it gone.

It was a special occasion though because it marked exactly three hundred and sixty-five days since Grace had drank that beer after their fight and that meant that she could collect her one year chip. She was a bit disappointed that she wouldn't be collecting it with her usual group back in New York but she had made the decision to accompany Taylor on tour and that meant also making her own tour of local AA meetings when she had the opportunity.

That morning, however, she was drooling into her pillow that Taylor had swapped out underneath her when she had gotten out of bed. She planned on sleeping more later, her rest habits were all over the place already but she was so excited to wake Grace up in the most celebratory way she could think of.

She crawled back under the covers after freshening up a bit and began to trace her finger along Grace's jawline. It took a minute for her to flutter her eyes open with obvious signs of still being tired, "Good morning, sweet girl."

"What's wrong?" Grace, who was usually an early bird, pouted and lifted her head only briefly to check the window for signs of daylight before it dropped against the pillow again with exhaustion.

"Nothing, I woke you 'cause I wanted to be the first person to congratulate you on being one year sober," the blonde smiled softly as her arm went around Grace's torso and stroked her back, snagging on the band of Grace's pyjamas as she bit her lower lip, "May I congratulate you?"

"I don't do morning sex," Grace smiled and buried her face in the pillow, "I'm agreeable to morning cuddles and exactly three kisses right on my mouth."

"Mm, I think I could convince you but three kisses is acceptable, too," Taylor waited for Grace to turn her head before she pecked her lips and made sure each press of their mouths was distinctive, "You may sleep."

"I'm awake now," Grace pushed Taylor's shoulder down so her back was flat against the sheets and then threw her leg over Taylor's waist and straddled her. Her nose brushed against Taylor's as she chastely kissed her, she wasn't going to complain about it whatsoever.

It was only a short lived moment. Grace shifted down and placed her head on Taylor's chest after moving her weight off of her. Her arm stayed around Taylor's shoulder as the blonde said, "What's your favourite thing about being sober?"

Grace took a moment to think about it. There were so many benefits, the clearer mind, the physical differences she had noticed, it all added up. Her answer was one that the others couldn't compare to, "That I know that my feelings are not merely alcohol talking. I'm more sure about life than I ever have been previously."

"I hope you know that I'm very proud of you and all that you've accomplished this last year," Taylor yawned quietly and looked at the tiny scar along Grace's hairline from car accident a nearly six months before, "Hey, do you remember anything from the day of the accident?"

"No," Grace looked up at Taylor's face. She wanted to enjoy the warmth of the bed and how they were both tired and most likely going to fall back asleep sooner or later but Taylor asked her that too often for comfort, "Do you want me to remember something from that day? You bring it up frequently."