28

The sound of her girlfriend's heels walking down the hallway made Taylor look down the staircase that early, first week of December morning, and furrow her eyebrows suspiciously. Grace had woken up at five and gone to the six o'clock meeting because she had her driver's test that morning. Her instructor was going to pick her up and take her for one last practice before the examiner got in with her and would make her do all of the things she had been practicing, like parallel parking.

Grace hated parallel parking, but she could do it and that was all that mattered.

"Baby! No heels," Taylor gently suggested from the landing at the top of the stairs.

The former heiress looked down at her feet and sighed. She had matched them with her outfit and lipstick so finding a suitable alternative would be an all day adventure for her now, "But I'm leaving."

"Wear flats, it's going to be hard to drive in heels," the blonde chuckled with a loving gaze, "I don't want you to retake the test, you haven't shut up about it since you got your permit."

"I could've shut up about it a long time ago if someone hadn't stalled on getting me my practice hours for months on end," Grace replied with a dry tone. She walked back up the stairs and removed her shoes as she held onto the railing in front of Taylor, "Not that I'll name any names, however."

"You amuse me," Taylor took the shoes like she was confiscating them and turned to walk towards their bedroom. She went into the large closet and looked at Grace's half, her shoes were a size and half smaller than Taylor's so it was one of the things they didn't blend wardrobes over. She scanned the selection and pulled out a pair or black running shoes that would compliment the darker lipstick shade and trousers, "Here. These will do."

She knew Grace coordinated her looks, it was one of the things she started doing once Ophelia was no longer the person picking out her outfits. Speaking of Ophelia, she was due to have her baby soon and Grace was anticipating the announcement in the mail, as per the stupidly rich British family etiquette. She was fairly certain Charlie would send one, they had been a 'couple' for nearly a decade, after all.

Grace and Taylor had made countless jokes about the baby coming out with a receded hairline, but they wished them nothing but the best. Taylor had started embroidering and had sent a blanket with a cute little bear on it to them with the rest of the baby gift. They were not invited to the shower... or the wedding the Langford's forced them into so the child would be considered a legitimate heir, but that was water under the bridge. Charlie was ready for the stability of marriage while Ophelia was still on the fence. Grace was extremely grateful she was not in their position.

Whatever crack she had been smoking, or rather, drinking back then must have been strong because marrying Charlie really sounded like the end of the world to her in every sense of the way. She wouldn't have been happy, the feeling of suffocating would have only gotten worse, like the burns of the camera flashes in her eyes.

"Thank you, my love," Grace did appreciate Taylor's guidance on finding the proper footwear. Her closet had expanded and Grace usually went for the thing that matched her mood and built off from that point. That meant many dresses even when it was cold outside because she'd grown up wearing dress after dress and sometimes pants felt weird because of it.

"Are you nervous?" The older woman inquired as she took one of Grace's sweatshirts off the hanger and slipped it over her tee. Grace did not comment on the action but she watched with a smile and slipped the running shoes on before she crouched down to tie them one at a time.

"No," Grace began, "I know how to operate the vehicle. My biggest concern is other drivers or incompetent pedestrians. I do not enjoy driving in the city."