46

It just so happened that keeping the secret of an entire engagement ring was really fucking hard. Especially for someone who loved to share everything with her partner like the animals native to the area they were visiting on tour and exactly how many steps it was from the stage entrance to the dressing room.

Keeping secrets was very difficult for Grace, who had to train herself to stop keeping them in order to protect her relationship. She had remodelled her brains ways to make herself a more open person, so knowing that there was that velvet box in a safe deposit box at her bank... it drove her a little crazy.

She'd managed to keep it a secret for two months. She had been plotting but nothing felt right. She knew there was no right away to propose but the timing and the places and the schedules... it was all just so exhausting. It was approaching their two year anniversary which was starting to feel like maybe it would be a more suitable time according to societal norms but then again, Grace didn't really like societal expectations anyways. Not when she'd never felt like she fit into any of the boxes they expected her to.

They were in New Orleans and tensions were somewhat high amongst the team. Taylor had sent out an email about wanting to get involved with politics and it had been quickly shut down. She had continued to push and sent the statement she wanted to make publicly to them to review. They pushed back harder, and that had led them to be sitting in the dressing room before soundcheck with Andrea, Scott and a couple other members of her team.

What they didn't seem to understand was that the woman Taylor was trying to speak out against was opposed to nearly everything Taylor stood for. She didn't want to worry about her and Grace not being able to look or act like a gay couple in Tennessee for fear of being kicked out of a restaurant or for officials not to take her seriously when a stalker broke in and slept in her bed. She wanted someone who actually stood with good values in office in her home state.

She felt like she couldn't afford to not get involved. She'd wanted to years before but wasn't in a place to do so. She didn't care if they wrote bad things about her anymore, she wanted to do what she knew was right. Grace had been supportive to that, so she was roped into the conversation once again.

Taylor sat on the sofa with Andrea next to her. In an attempt to not garner too much attention on their relationship, Grace took a seat in an adjacent chair with Meredith because the documentary crew were around. It had become quite common for her to sit off to the side or behind the cameras when it was feasible to do so, but it wasn't really an option here.

"Yeah, but this is on the home front. And also, back in the presidential election, I was in such a horrendous place that I wasn't gonna pop my head out of the sand for anything," Taylor explained to her father with exasperation. She wasn't going to back down.

"Why would you?" Scott sighed, "I mean, does Bob Hope do it? Did Bing Crosby do it? Does- Does Mick Jagger do it?"

"Honey, what the hell! Come on!" Andrea scoffed.

"Scott, I have no idea who those people are so obviously they are not important," Grace furrowed her eyebrows at him as she finally spoke.

Taylor glanced at her girlfriend with a face that could only mean what the fuck is he talking about? Grace continued to scratch behind Meredith's little ears as he continued to argue.

"What I'm saying is—"

"Bob Hope and Bing Crosby?" Andrea questioned if he had really just said that.

"First of all, these aren't your dad's celebrities and these aren't your dad's republicans," Taylor shook her head in disbelief.

"Imagine if we came to you and said hey, we've got this idea that we could halve the number of people that come to your next tour."