Contestshipping: The way she is

Living with a girlfriend was way different than just dating her. It was challenging.

On their fourth year anniversary, Drew has asked May to move in with him. She accepted without thinking about it one second, as if she was just waiting for Drew to ask.

For Drew, who always had all space for himself, having May around at first was... not easy.

First, Drew had to ban some... bad habits. May was literally scolding him like a mom scolds her child every time he left a dish unwashed.

"Hey! You can't leave the sink just like this and leave!"

May also scolded when Drew ate right from the box or drank milk or orange juice right from the its box too.

"Hey! That's not right! Get a glass and drink properly!"

It was the same when he'd start eating before he sits down.

"Drew, that's so impolite!"

Drew had to admit; May took very good care of the house hygiene. His cousin, who is living with his girlfriend as well, has gotten him traumatized from their bathroom stories and razors usage. Luckily, May wasn't one of those girls; she cleaned the bathroom after herself and she's never touched Drew's razors before. Thank God.

Fine, Drew had to make some efforts. May was right about everything, including the thing about drinking from the milk carton directly.

Next was the food.

Drew didn't really cook. He never tried, so he always ordered. May didn't like that at all.

"You can't live off pizza! This is so unhealthy!"

She didn't allow takeouts either. She was pretty serious about it. May scolded Drew every time she caught a pizza box or a noodles cup in the trash bin.

"You ordered? Again? Why don't you just listen? Ugh!"

May liked to cook her food. Drew didn't really trust her food at first, but then, he tried it, and God, it tasted really good. May made the best macaroni and cheese ever, and the roasted turkey wasn't dry at all. Drew kept asking for more; May just had to scold him about something, again.

"It's ten at night already! You just can't keep eating like that! Enough!"

Drew thought she just had to scold him about something.

Sometimes, he thought she was pretty cute when she yelled and did that little move with her nose. It was cute. Drew liked it. He'd keep chuckling to himself, and it'd make her even madder.

The food matter was done with. Next were his guy friends.

Since Drew has been living on his own ever since he was eighteen, he was used to having his buddies around, watching movies (well, yes, those movies) drinking beer and smoking. When May got in the picture, she told him they weren't allowed anymore in her house. Drew knew that May never liked his friends, but this was overdone:

"I can't let those guys inside my house! They'd make it stink with the smoking!"

The guys laughed quite hard at that when Drew told them, but they came soon to a solution.

Drew told her they will start meeting up at Gary's house; May raged.

"What? No! You can't spend the night with those guys and leave me alone!"

Drew was losing his mind. He told her he won't be spending nights with them anymore and he'll try getting home early. May just had to find something else to nag about.

"I don't think you should ever hang out with them anymore, Drew! You've just quit smoking and they will pass it to you again! You should stop drinking so much beer anyway! Those guys are very bad influence!"

At this point, Drew gave up. His friends -most were single and free- were literally making fun of him because May was tying him up and was being bossy. Drew went with it; it was for the sake of making May happy. He no longer hung out with his friends outside work hours. May hated especially the single guy friends.

Then there were other things, like having to make the bed (it's going to get messy again, so why make it?), folding clothes before putting them inside the closet, scrubbing the table (same thing as the bed), not putting your feet on tables (seriously?), not eating sweets after nine at night, getting home early, not drinking alcohol during the week, not setting passwords for phones and laptops, and so many other rules Drew had to endure in his first months with lovely May.

He wasn't sure if he thought she was right about everything or he just loved her the way she was.

Drew presumed it to be the latter.

Yep, he just loved May, with all her nagging, scolding and shouting at his face and calling him fat.

"May?"

Drew closed the door after him gently. He sniffed one more time the bouquet of red roses he has gotten for his girlfriend and walked over to the kitchen. May wasn't there.

"May?" Drew went to look in their bedroom. He's found her sitting on the middle of the bed, eyes all puffy and red from crying.

"May- what happened? Why are you crying?"

May sobbed harder as Drew placed the roses aside and sat by her side. He stroked her face. "May, what happened? Tell me!"

May managed to stutter out few words. "Do- do you think I'm bossy?"

Drew blinked. He rolled his eyes and sighed. "Do you understand now why I always tell you to stay away from my phone? It's not because I have a secret girlfriend, you know."

"Tell me!"

"No, you're not."

"I don't want to tie you up, I swear!" May's voice was wobbly. She looked completely down. "It was never my attention!"

"I know you always had good attentions, May. Now, give me back my phone, and don't ever go through those old conversations. They're months old, May. They mean nothing. The guys were just messing with me."

May wiped the tears off her face with her hand and grabbed Drew's phone from under her thigh. Drew grinned. She probably hid it when she heard him unlock the front door.

"You're impossible, May."

"I was just checking some other stuff! Then I saw..."

Drew chuckled. He pulled May closer into a hug and stroked her hair as she said, "I love you- I swear! I never thought I was being bossy- are you really sure you don't think I'm bossy? I'm not! I'm not!"

"You're not."

"And then- then- I don't hate your friends, Drew. I don't! I just... I don't trust them!"

It made Drew smile. May was just a little innocent jealous girl.

"It's alright. I don't trust their dirty games either."

May finally giggled. She pulled away slowly. Drew grabbed the roses again. "This is for you. Come on. Kick off those stupid tears. Today is a special day."

May smiled and took the bouquet of roses. "Thanks, they're beautiful."

"Is that so?"

May giggled and leaned forward Drew, kissing him on the lips.

"Happy anniversary, May."

"Happy anniversary, Drew."

THE END.

A little thank-you to my big brother who inspired me to write this. It's based on his personal experience. I hope it made you smile, Alain c;