37

I sat up against the right window, stretching my legs over the seat next to me, hanging my ankles over the edge so my trainers wouldn't touch the seat. I connected my airpods to my phone, turning the volume on full before clicking play on my liked songs, shuffle causing Skepta to play first.

I knew what it was to be black way before I was on the GQ cover
How you gonna question me about colour?
What you know about Nelson Mandela?
Man, I get anti as ever
Yeah, I can do serious, I can do mean
Tell a supremacist that I'm supreme
Oh, everybody's woke now, guess I'm just lost in a dream
But still, I'm predicting the future, I said this is how shit would go
The streets at an all-time high, the government at an all-time low
Politicians tryna get tickets to come to the shows
I shake hands with a long arm, never get close
Can't see me, I stay ghost, man, I move like cigarette smoke

We've been growing apart
Been through the war's and I can show you the scars
Still on the road, I'm still on the boulevard
They should've told you that I glow in the dark

Jude tapped my feet for me to move them but I ignored him, instead using one hand to hold my phone out to him and the other to point to the music playing on it.

They would love to see me on a pushbike pedalling scores
Eighteen pound fourty, I was accepting shorts
Fast forward, see me on TV collecting awards

"Move man," he grew impatient.
"When the songs done!" I laughed as if it were obvious.
"You're really gonna make me wait?"
"And?"

Marcus leant forwards to dap me up again as him and Jesse burst out laughing.
"You know I didn't mean it like that-" he started but instead of listening I rocked my head with the music.

"Now she can't understand why she used to hang around with them eddiat man."
I nintendo switch it, fam, I got the game in my hands
I'm a different species
Summertime got a new swag for the beaches
Look in my wardrobe and it's all reference pieces

"Alright I get your point," he had his hand on the backrest, debating whether or not he should just move my legs as he definitely had the strength to. 

I finally took out an airpod, "Let me know what's going on then. Why you acting like I ain't shit?"
"I weren't! It came out wrong," he said exasperated.
"Mhm," I moved my feet but put my airpod back in.

He sat down, staring forwards and wiping his hands down his face, taking a deep breath.
"I genuinely didn't mean it like that, it's just this dickhead starting drama over nothing," he pointed to Marc as I simply shrugged, done with it all.

"I didn't start shit," he laughed, "She heard you herself. Maybe you should learn to respect her more instead of tryna blame someone else."
"I ain't taking no advice from you," Jude kissed his teeth, the veins in his arm becoming more prominent the more he got pissed off and clenched his fists.

"Yeah well-"
"Guys just leave it, both of you," I grew fed up, placing my legs how they were previously, this time over Bellingham's lap.
"I promise you love it weren't even like that-"
"So what he's just gonna get away with it?" Marcus interrupted, Jesse slapping his chest lightly to tell him to shut up.

"Bruv this don't concern you," Jude stressed, trying to explain himself to me but getting interrupted everytime.
"Relax, we'll just talk about it on campus."
He drew patterns with his finger on the bare skin of my ankle where my jeans had ridden up slightly, not looking at me, "I don't like when you're pissed at me though."