chapter eight;

CHAPTER EIGHT

DO NOT PRETEND TO BE A MEEK, PATHETIC LITTLE GIRL WHEN I CAN SEE THAT VICIOUS MIND WORKING BEHIND YOUR EYES

19TH NOVEMBER 1993

IF REMUS WAS BEING HONEST, he wasn't this nervous since the day his oldest—yet youngest friend, Artemis Selwyn told him she was pregnant with Sirius' brother's child.

He remembered fetching all the pregnancy and firstborn books he could find, knowing his friend wouldn't bother and not knowing if the father cared enough about it. Of course, he had to hide this whole situation from both James and Sirius by the wish of the couple, though he was certain Lily already knew about it.

Remus felt elated to be one of the few ( him, said redhead and one of the Rosier siblings ) people invited to meet the newborn at a small hospital in London.

He could never forget the tearful smile Artemis had when she saw the innocent blue-grey eyes staring back at her, or Regulus' content expression watching his new family.

And he could vividly recall thinking how much the infant looked like his friend. She had the same soft features and a babbling bright smile, and yet she had the freakishly intense eyes of her father.

Remus was devastated to know that he wouldn't have seen her afterwards, since they planned to keep the baby a secret from the outside world and he hadn't expected to see her anymore, especially after the unsettling news of Artemis' and Regulus' death.

But twelve-ish years later he sat on his chair behind his desk, as her Defense Against The Dark Arts Professor, trying his best to look calm while he took out her favoured lemon biscuits.

He had a feeling she already knew a lot more than she let on, judging by her tense posture and the way she avoided him outside the class like he had some sort of illness.

„So, Athena, you're fourteen now, I believe you live with a guardian?" he said, evenly.

Athena's fingers froze at the teacup for half a second, before her face became unreadable for him. Remus privately thought it must've been a Black thing, having seen that expression many times before.

He frowned, „Do you?"

„My aunt, Narcissa is the one who watches over me during the holidays," Athena replied casually, shrugging as she bit into her biscuit.

Remus tried to process that answer. He never knew Narcissa, who was born a Black, personally, but he remembered her in his last few years hanging around Artemis and Mackenzie Rosier.