chapter twenty-six;

chapter twenty-six;

IF I TOLD YOU ABOUT THE DARKNESS INSIDE OF ME, WOULD YOU STILL LOOK AT ME LIKE I HUNG UP THE STARS?

DECEMBER 31TH 1994

AGAIN, SHE DIDN'T KNOW HOW SHE got there. One moment she was standing on top of the Astronomy Tower, her feet glued to the roof, and the next she was back in the corridors.

"I still don't think this is a good idea."

"Your faith in me is flattering, P̶o̶t̶t̶e̶r̶."

She was dragging him—whose name was forbidden in her presence for the past week—into an empty classroom, him seeming to feel rather wary as she closed the door behind her.

If she had a mirror in her hands she would've seen that crazed look in her eyes, the mischievous smile curled up her lips and her general appearance seemingly older than she actually was.

"It wouldn't be the first time in Slytherin's common room for you." she stated it matter-of-factly, because apparently she invited him into her dorm room.

"What— How do you..."

"Did you or did you not sneak in as Goyle in our second year at christmas?"

"The fact that you know that so detailed makes me wonder how long you've been inlove with me," he said teasingly, pulling her closer to him and Athena absentmindedly noted his hair looked a bit shorter than she was used to this year before she caught what he said.

She tensed in his hold and then out of nowhere his entire face froze, blood dripping from his mouth as his arms went slack. She couldn't even look away from him, her fingers trembling as she moved to cup his head. She tried to get them to glow, tried to force magic into them. She wanted to heal them, she didn't want to see him like this.

"Don't bother," she heard a cold, sneering voice hissing behind her, "he's already dead. You're too late, Athena. This is what happens when you attach yourself to someone. Poor little thing."

She turned around, facing the glaring face of her half-brother. Except he also didn't look like she was used to. His left eye gained colour, showing the greenish hazel their mother had. Half of his face was burned like a pancake plate and she realised why his eyes looked so odd on him.

"Athena," he sang quietly and she instantly took a step back, her arm spread out to protect whatever rest was of him behind her, "you're late, Athena. You couldn't save him from me, Athena. You can't save anyone from me, not him, not your blonde little friend or your idiotic cousin. Not even your annoying loser friend."