chapter thirty-nine;

" IT IS SO MUCH SAFER NOT TO FEEL,NOT TO LET THE WORLD TOUCH ME "

NOT TO LET THE WORLD TOUCH ME "

2ND OCTOBER 1995

AN ELEVEN YEAR OLD ATHENA WOULD never admit it out loud, but she preferred Daphne over any other girl she knew.

Daphne used to annoy her. When they were younger, the blonde would constantly try and find her even if Athena didn't want to be found. She would stuck like glue to her whenever Walburga dragged her over to the Greengrass family and Daphne would always cry when Athena didn't want to do something with her.

And at that time she didn't want to admit it, but for a very long while Athena was jealous of her.

It used to make her so angry seeing Daphne with a healthy ( not so healthy anymore ) family, happy with two parents and a tiny sister. They were travelling together and spending Christmas with each other, while Athena was rotting in her room with Walburga—trying to get over her parents' death and debating where to run off to.

The jealousy lessened over time and Daphne's unbearable behaviour became more bearable.

Eventually Daphne learned to give her space and Athena learned ( still in process ) to open up to her slowly.

Daphne didn't try to touch her at every opportunity, left her alone when she didn't want the company and thankfully stopped crying when Athena didn't want to paint her nails.

And when she wanted to spend time with Athena then it kind of sounded like this—

„Hey, Athena?" Daphne whispered early in the morning, being the second one to wake up in their dorm. When she hummed in response, Daphne continued, „Granger invited us to this meeting in Hogsmeade this weekend."

Athena frowned, still laying on her bed with a fictional book from the seventies in her hands. She glanced aside to Daphne, raising an eyebrow at her wordlessly.

„She said it's something about Umbridge," Daphne explained further, turning sideways with her blanket still over her comfortably. „It's inter house, in Hog's head."

„What about Umbridge?"

„She's too incompetent for a teacher. Apparently Potter is going to teach us Defense."

Her hand stilled in the process of turning of turning a page. An tight knot formed itself in her stomach at the thought of seeing him again.