chapter twenty-seven;

YOU ARE SHAKING FISTS & TREMBLING TEETH

YOU ARE SHAKING FISTS & TREMBLING TEETH. I KNOW YOU DID NOT
MEAN TO BE CRUEL.
THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU WERE KIND.

JANUARY 15TH 1995

"SO YOU DON'T HAVE A CRUSH?"

Daphne looked at Athena in puzzlement, the latter having woken up early and forcing her to stand up as well. She had a book next to her that held the title of something Greek about feelings, but Daphne was never as good as Athena and Theo were in that language.

"No, Daphne," she huffed in exasperation, crossing her arms over her chest and leaning against the bed leg, "I just want to understand the behaviour around me."

"Really?" Daphne whined in disappointment, "I thought you finally found someone handsome—or pretty—enough to... but what about Potter?"

She did notice that Athena stopped avoiding his name and the guy himself. Something must've happened at the New Year's party, but Daphne was too drunk to remember seeing them.

"What about him?" There was an edge on her tone, stormy, challenging eyes hardened at her.

Daphne curled her lips together at the sight, reminding her of a much younger Athena, "I thought... I thought I saw you two dancing at the Yule ball—but maybe I was just imagining things."

"Yeah, must've been that," Athena said coldly, closing her eyes for a second, "what if the situation is not ideal for... a relationship?"

She shrugged, "Then you just wait. Are you sure you don't fancy someone, Athena? Come on, you can always tell me. We can have tea and talk—"

"No!" Athena snapped abruptly and stood up from her seat in irritation. "Keep your little fantasies for yourself, not all of us have to like someone every other week."

Daphne watched her walk out with a frown. She had been even more tense than normally, keeping a certain distance between them. Daphne hoped she didn't have any more nightmares, or maybe she was just worried about... she furrowed her eyebrows, trying to follow the trail of thought again.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

"You are so frustrating!"

"Would you stop being so annoying?"

Harry scowled at her as they sat at a bench in the corridor—the same one they sat on last year, if he remembered correctly—looking over the marauders map together.