chapter thirty-seven;

JUST BECAUSE I CARRY IT SO WELL DOESN'T MEAN IT'S NOT HEAVY

3RD SEPTEMBER 1995

DAPHNE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

She was fairly certain it was around four in the morning and a piercing scream had startled her awake from her sleep.

Athena was in her bed, eyes closed tightly and panting heavily. There was sweat running down her forehead and she clutched onto her blanket as if her life depended on it, rolling around restlessly.

It was good that her other dorm mates were either with their new boyfriends or sneaking out somewhere, but she wasn't entirely sure how to handle the situation either.

Usually Athena put on a silencing charm around her for them to not hear her screams. Knowing she had a nightmare and witnessing one was an entirely different thing, Daphne realised. The sight of it made her heart speed up in fear and her hands shook in uncertainty and concern.

Her first instinct had been to sat down on her bed and try to wake her up, but as soon as she took step closer the room picked up on air and she felt like a tornado was happening around her.

As far as she knew, this never occurred to her before. She started to wonder whether to bring one of the boys in here and see if they knew how to wake her up.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Your mother was right. I did miss you."

Athena whirled around, breathing hard at the whisper in her ear. She stood at a graveyard, a thick fog blurring her sight. The recognising voice spiked a surge of emotion, although she wasn't sure which one it was.

She tried to concentrate on any of her senses, but everything was dimmed and the constant noise around her distracted her enough to keep her from questioning why the scene seemed so familiar to her.

„Thea."

Athena turned around at the choked tone, facing a kneeling person covered in several cut wounds and dark red stains. Their skin was pale, nearly white from the loss of blood and dirt all over the face and clothes. The dark hair on their head looked greasy and sticked to the forehead like they were sweating heavily, round glasses broken on the nose. Her fingers twitched and she had the natural reflex to heal the person.

„How dare you, go ten months without me—"

Her body trembled slightly and she took a step forward to the person—which she now realised was a boy. A lightning strike struck down to the ground to where the injured guy kneeled and Athena's feet glued themselves on the earth before she could move over.