ten

— The Truth

JEFF ATKINS SEEMED to be the only person to understand Natalia Bexley for the longest time

JEFF ATKINS SEEMED to be the only person to understand Natalia Bexley for the longest time. He knew when she was upset or longing for Clay. He knew if she needed company or if she didn't. The list went on. Jeff was such a good soul. The guy just gave and gave until he couldn't anymore when he was in a car accident.

For the longest time, Natalia hated Sheri. In all honesty, she still did resent her. She took away one of the only good men left on this planet by a stupid decision.

Sometimes Natalia wondered if she truly loved Jeff and then other days she knew it was platonic. Then she wondered if he loved her. He'd do anything to help her and stood by her as she pined over Clay. Those were times she assumed their love was platonic.

However, when he held her hand when she was scared or danced with her when she wanted to let go, she questioned it. She'd always question it until the day she dies.

Jeff knew she wanted Clay. He never questioned it. He knew he was a good guy. When Natalia told Justin the whole story, he kind of picked on her about it.

He knew things that Clay said that she'd never hear. Whenever Natalia doubted herself, she was always told that it was neutral. Jeff always reassured her, but now after there was no more reassurance, Natalia was back into her doubting state.

Natalia watched sadly as Clay left the room. Her lips had been swollen from kissing him and her heart had been shattered into a million little pieces. It wasn't her fault. She wasn't ready. Not for this and especially because if this went wrong it was years and years of friendship down the drain.

The door creaked open and Natalia saw Hannah standing there. She closed the door behind her and sat besides her friend, looking at her for answers.

"Why couldn't I just... do it?" Natalia asked sadly.

"What kiss Clay?" Hannah quizzed and Natalia shook her head with frustration.

"I've done it before, so why couldn't I have done it with Clay? Why? I humiliated him." Natalia cried and Hannah shook her head.

"You weren't ready. You've been friends for too long, maybe? Maybe it threw you off? Although, that doesn't make much sense..." Hannah paused and looked at Natalia with regret. "I didn't mean to say it like that."

"It's fine." No it wasn't. She still believed that awful lie that her and Justin strung together and she wished she could reveal the truth.

"It's okay. Want to go to the bathroom and cool off? I'll wait here." Hannah offered and Natalia nodded as she stood up.