five

Homebound

WALKING THE HALLS felt like a public showcase when you were the newest piece of gossip

WALKING THE HALLS felt like a public showcase when you were the newest piece of gossip. Natalia dreaded when everyone would see her testimony. The whole school will talk about how much of a slut Natalia is and the thing is they already do.

Natalia made her way to Zach Dempsey. He seemed off and a bit moody, kind of like how he was the day before. His features were twisted into an annoyed expression. He looked up and smiled at Nat.

"Hey beautiful." Zach greeted as he reeled her in by her waist. She smiled at his words and hugged him back. They weren't official, but Natalia wondered what it would be like if they were.

"Are you okay? You don't seem like yourself." Natalia questioned and Zach sighed as he pulled away.

"It's just Bryce and... I don't know, Bex. It's fine. I do have a question though." Zach said which made Natalia prepare for whatever it'd be.

"Okay... what's your question?" Natalia asked and Zach stopped with his hands holding Natalia's.

This act earned them attention that was completely unwanted. Natalia brushed hair behind her ear and straightened her lips into a line, nervously.

"What are we?" Zach questioned making Natalia look around desperately. "I don't want to waste my time, Bex. I really like you, but if you're still hung up on someone else..."

"No, I'm not. I really like you, too, Zach. I'm just not so sure I'm ready to be with someone. I've been so stressed with everything and..." Natalia began to say.

"Is it because Justin's back because—"

"Zach, I don't want to hurt you. You're such an amazing guy and I'm a hard person to be with... and I really don't want to be doing all of this here." Natalia confessed and Zach looked around with his gloomy expression once again.

"I see. This isn't about me and you anymore," Zach said and Natalia shook her head as people watched them in passing. "It's about you... and Clay."

"God, Zach. He's literally the last person I want right now." Natalia said with her eyes on the ground.

"Then prove it to me." Zach told her before walking away. Natalia blinked at him as he strolled away. Her heart wrenched as she watched him go.

Natalia huffed and turned around to find Clay standing there. His lips were parted like he wanted to say something. She wanted him to say something so bad, but all that he did was close his mouth.

The blonde walked past him, shoulder checking him. What a lovely start to the school day.

ONCE NATALIA WAS coming home from a horrible day from school. When people come home from school all they want to do is just sit for a minute. Just chill and enjoy the moments of peace before she had to do her homework.

However, when she arrived home, her parents were sitting there seemingly all torn up and stressed about something.

"We just talked to the lawyers." Andrea Bexley told her daughter, sliding her laptop away from her. The air seemed tense enough to cut with a butter knife.

"Okay..." Natalia said, kicking off her shoes.

"They're having you come in tomorrow." Cameron Bexley informed Natalia.

"Like me... on the stand?" Natalia questioned and Andrea nodded her head. "We already knew about this, why are you guys acting weird about it?"

"There isn't anything else we don't know about, right? Other than what the school had told us about that video." Cameron asked with slight undertones of disappointment. Natalia blinked at him for a moment.

"No, dad. There is nothing... else." Natalia muttered the last part because she did have video proof that their encounter was fake. However, it wasn't on Natalia's phone anymore. It was on a Justin's phone.

Natalia's words made Cameron and Andrea perk up and eyebrow. She sat down at the dining room table and looked up to them with a sheepish smile.

"I actually do have something you don't know about." Natalia told them with a innocent smile.

NATALIA KNEW SHE'D have to tell her parents that she had faked having sex with Justin. It seemed as if they were more angry at her than disappointed for that. For reasons she could understand, although she hasn't exactly told the truth why she did that.

Her parents thought it was a prank, not an act of self defense against a potential rape. She crossed her legs as she sat on her bed. Her mind had been on a constant loop of repetitive thoughts.

The knock on her window almost sounded like nothing at first until she heard it a second time. She looked to the window and set down the pillow she hugged.

Jessica Davis poked her head in without saying anything. She made her entrance gracefully, coming over to Natalia's bed to sit.

"Well, hello." Natalia greeted, picking up her pillow again.

"What are you gonna say, Natalia?" Jessica asked and rested her head on the hill of pillows Natalia used at night. Natalia leaned back as well, staring at the tapestry on her ceiling.

"I'm going to give them a half truth." Natalia told Jessica, who looked to her in confusion.

"Half truth? What kind of half truth?" Jessica quizzed and Natalia sighed, squeezing a pillow to her chest.

"One that I'm ready to tell." Natalia said unsure of herself. Jessica sighed and nuzzled her head into the pillows.

"And that's all you have to do. Say whatever you're ready to say, Nat." Jessica told her and Natalia nodded, her head swimming with unwanted thoughts.

"I have to tell Clay." Natalia mumbled, sitting up.

"No, you don't have to feel obligated to tell him anything. Tell him when you're ready, okay?" Jessica urged and Natalia hummed before getting up.

"I need to get water, are you staying?" Natalia asked and Jessica sighed, rolling off of the bed dramatically.

"It's a good thing you live only a block away," Jessica smiled before walking over to the window and ducking out. "My dad's probably about to check on me, so good luck and don't miss me too much."

Natalia rolled her eyes before she made her way out of her bedroom to get water. Sometimes she wondered if she was transparent as she thought she was.

— Savior Complex