four

- Losing It

JESSICA ATTEMPTED TO herd Natalia into the basement of the school for the club she attended

JESSICA ATTEMPTED TO herd Natalia into the basement of the school for the club she attended. It was a club full of survivors. She wasn't sure if that was the best move for her. However, maybe it would help the whole she'd been stuck in. Natalia was once in the club completely, at that time her mental health was good. When the homecoming incident occurred, she'd taken one step forward, three steps back.

Maybe it would help. Being understood again. It could be what she's lacking. She sat at the HO meeting table and looked around as people talked. Apparently Tyler was supposed to come because he walked in and sat beside Natalia, awkwardly smiling at her. She returned it.

Today would be a long day.

It didn't help that Casey continuously brought Bryce. Natalia tried to tune most of their conversations out, but every time his name was mentioned, goosebump after goosebump appeared on her arm.

It wasn't until her feet began moving that she noticed what she was doing.

"I'll see you later, Tyler," Natalia whispered as she exited the room. Jessica and Tyler's eyes met worriedly as their friend left the meeting.

Natalia wasn't sure what her problem was. Her stomach felt like hell as she rushed to the bathroom. She hadn't eaten anything in the past day and she knew that if she were to throw up it'd be a just a lot of dry heaving.

Her vision had been blurred as she stormed the halls. People eyes her curiously, her whole face in a daze. Out of all people, Alex saw her, his features twisted as she seen the look on her face.

He caught up with her and gently grabbed her arm.
Natalia hasn't ever been close with him, but his eyes seemed to send her back down to earth.

"You good, Natalia?" He asked, his words coming into her head, but bouncing around like words in a different language. They weren't registering.

"Do you have any food on you or anything?" Natalia quizzed, her eyes training themselves on Alex's eyes.

Alex pulled off his backpack and found a granola bar. He ripped it open for her and handed it over.

"Thanks," she mumbled before sinking her teeth into it. She gripped his bicep as she walked him into a deserted hallway.

She leaned against a row of lockers and felt her sugar climb up to a comfortable spot. Alex's bicep was now free.

"Did you skip breakfast or something?" Alex asked and Natalia nodded. If she were to eat, she most likely wouldn't hold anything down. The protein bar probably wouldn't last long either.

"Yeah, I've been having trouble holding food down. I couldn't sit through another one of those god awful HO meetings. The cause is great, but all they want to talk about is fucking Bryce Walker," Natalia confided in Alex. His eyes flickered down to the floor for a moment before finding her face.

"Have you been okay? I mean... I heard you've been struggling with... everything," Alex brought up awkwardly. He didn't talk to Natalia unless necessary.

"I'm fine, really," Natalia lied because even though she wanted it to be true, she's been struggling to keep afloat against the choppy waters that had been intruding her flow.

"Has Clay been around? I could've sworn I haven't seen you guys apart since..."

"Hannah," Natalia answered. Her eyes now stared at the linoleum awkwardly. "Things have been rough. I'm sure you know."

There was a slight pause as they stood there waiting for the conversation to flow again.

"You can talk to me, Natalia. I know we aren't, like, best friends, but I understand," Alex offered and Natalia smiled at him politely.

"Okay. You know, we should hang out sometime, so when we do talk, it isn't as painful," Natalia played around and Alex smiled back.

"Definitely. I'll see you around?" Alex quizzed and Natalia nodded before they both parted into their separate ways.

As if things couldn't get any worse, Natalia runs into someone. She couldn't control herself as she reeled away from his touch as he caught her.

"Nat, hey, what's wrong?" Clay quizzed as Ani looked up from a paper in her hand. Her eyes were focused on Natalia as she stared up at Clay. Her eyes spoke millions of words as she looked up at him.

It looked like she was contemplating something in her head, but instead she turned around. Clay looked back at Justin, missing Natalia's presence already as he slowly lost sight of her in a sea of students.

"Come on, dude!" Justin scolded, slapping his chest. He looked over to her with confusion. "Just do it already!"

"Do what? She's mad," Clay said making excuses. Justin scoffed and folded his arms.

"For whatever reason, she really likes you. I can't stand watching her pine for someone who doesn't give a shit," Justin complained and Clay parted his lips.

"I give a shit! I give lots of shits, I give the most shits," Clay defended himself making Justin roll his eyes.

"Whatever, bro."