thirteen

Out of the Woods

WHEN NATALIA WAS given a subpoena, she had been forced by her parents to go

WHEN NATALIA WAS given a subpoena, she had been forced by her parents to go. So, she went in her 'best clothes' and she sat in front of a camera with a look of misery. After Clay's visit, they've only talked once. Only about the subpoenas, but nothing else came up.

"Good morning, Ms Bexley." Dennis greeted. The girl in question shot him a flustered smile. She'd always figured she'd be nervous when she'd been under any legal obligation. Not this nervous.

"Morning." Natalia replied, her smile faltering as her eyes flickered to her mothers face. She seemed awfully worried about this.

"My name is Dennis Vasquez, representing Andrew and Olivia Baker, and this is a deposition. I'll be asking you questions, and you must answer them truthfully... unless your attorney clearly instructs you otherwise. Do you understand?" Dennis asked and Natalia folded her hands on the table, reinforcing her small smile.

"Yes, sir." Natalia replied, fidgeting with the ring on her finger. The one Hannah gifted her the day she had ended her life.

It had a gold band with a peridot stone. It was Hannah's birthstone along with Natalia's since her birthday was the day before hers.

"There's no judge present, but this is a legal proceeding. You are under the same legal obligation to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, do you understand?" Dennis explained. Natalia sat up straight and eyed her mother before looking at Dennis.

"Yes." Natalia responded, crossing her legs.

"And for the record, can you state your name, your age, where you go to school, and what year you're in." Dennis asked and Natalia flattened her hands on the table.

"My name is Natalia Bexley, I'm seventeen and I'm a junior at Liberty Highschool." Natalia answered, her eyes bouncing to her anxious mother who's leg bobbed up and down.

"And when and where did you first meet Hannah Baker?" Dennis questioned and Natalia sighed as she thought.

"I first met Hannah Baker at a party she hosted at her house. It was still summer, so right before sophomore year." Natalia replied sadly.

"And how well did you know Hannah?" Dennis inquired while Natalia played with her ring again.

"At first, not well. I'd say that we didn't even like one another. A little while into our sophomore year we began talking and we became really good friends." Natalia divulged, her tone obviously saddened.

"Did you ever hear anyone say unkind things to Hannah?" Dennis asked and Natalia shook her head.

"Yes."

"Did you ever come to her defense?" Dennis asked and Natalia closed her eyes trying to think of any time she did. The one instance where she pulled her shirt down came to mind, but she didn't want to share that. She did one other time.