six

Illicit Affairs

MEN WILL NEVER understand the pressures of being a woman in todays society

MEN WILL NEVER understand the pressures of being a woman in todays society. It's either you're shamed for your relations with other people, your weight, how you look, how your body looks, how many times you've had sex, if you've never had sex, if you're smart, if you're dumb, or if you're just an average person.

Natalia always compared a woman's life to a thrifted chair. As stupid as that sounded, she knew it was true. People would stand on it, sit on, set things on it, and use it until it snaps. People will stack their belongings onto it until all of the legs are gone.

Today, Natalia felt as the leg on one her chairs would snap any second. She sat with her hands shaking in her lap. She was wearing jeans and some ugly floral shirt her mother picked out. Her parents insisted she looked nice.

It felt stupid, sitting there all anxious.

One wrong word or slip up and it can effect the whole case. Hannah's parents could win or the school could win. Natalia couldn't have guessed this is what she'd be doing this time last year.

When Natalia was put on the stand, Clay caught her eyes. He had seemed nervous for her too. He knew what they'd bring up. For legal reasons, they would not be able to play the audio, but they could describe it.

When Sonya looked Natalia in her eye she clenched her jaw.

"Hello, Miss Bexley." Sonya smiled as she walked around the table to stand directly before Natalia.

"Hi." Natalia smiled, but her tone wasn't as sweet as usual. More sharp and angry than anything.

"How did you know Hannah Baker?" Sonya quizzed. Natalia parted her lips and looked to her stick and poke tattoo on her thumb. A little heart. It was obvious who had done it.

"I met her at a party. It was at her house." Natalia responded, fidgeting with the ring Hannah had given her. "She was quiet, but kind. Kat actually introduced us."

"Did you know Hannah well?" Sonya asked and Natalia swallowed, furrowing her eyebrows.

"In the end, I think I knew her better than a lot of people. She was my bestfriend." Natalia replied.

"Did she ever come to you about her struggles?" Sonya inquired and Natalia nodded with a straight face.

"She did, and I did talk with her. Everyone kind of thinks negatively, but doesn't act on it. I just... I just figured it was one of those things where she'd act on it." Natalia responded and Sonya nodded.

"So, you knew Hannah was struggling and you didn't tell anyone?" Sonya questioned.

"I did. I just didn't use her name." Natalia told Sonya. She walked around a little bit and eyed the jury.

"Who did you tell?" Sonya questioned and Natalia pursed her lips.

"The school. I told Mrs Bradley because I heard of someone's anonymous note. As far as I know, she didn't tell anyone." Natalia told Sonya and she walked around nodding.