twelve

Nobody's Safe

NATALIA WASN'T SURE why Clay Jensen always showed up when it was night time

NATALIA WASN'T SURE why Clay Jensen always showed up when it was night time. Maybe it was because he knew she'd always look after him regardless of the circumstances. She'd do anything for that boy. That was clear and his tape made that clearer. Now, he'd listened to the one tape she'd been scared he'd get to. Bryce's.

It had been known Bryce was a bad guy. He acted on impulse and didn't consider the consequences since there were practically none. How could there be? He was a white rich guy with powerful lawyers in his corner.

Things like this happened every single day, but it always got old. Nobody ever wants to point the finger at the true culprit.

Natalia understands her privileges and then again, she's still a woman. Rich white men rule the world and that became more and more apparent at school.

When Clay knocked on her door once again, she didn't even bother to check. Something in her told her it was very important. She seen blood dripping from various places on his face, he held the doorway with one hand and his stomach with the other.

"Jesus Christ!" Natalia groaned, widening the door and helping Clay in. Her parents were asleep in bed so the coast should be clear. "What in the hell happened to you, Clay?"

She helped him up the stairs and to her bedroom which had a bathroom connected to it. It was a Jack and Jill styled one, but they didn't have to worry about it since the guest room was connected to it.

"Let me go wet a washcloth." Natalia mumbled, walking into the bathroom. She grabbed one off the shelf and ran it under the warm water, wringing it out right after.

She came back out to Clay, who sat on her bed and crouched in front of him. His eyes were bloodshot and his mouth was in a straight line.

"What happened?" Natalia questioned again and began to clean him up. He winced as she went over some spots on his face.

"I confronted Bryce." Clay responded and Natalia exhaled sharply, continuing to clean him up.

"I mean, did you get what you wanted out of it?" Natalia asked and he nodded triumphantly.

"I got a confession from him. He confessed," Clay answered. "I'm gonna get his fucking ass, Nat."

"Oh, he swears now. You're a changed man." Natalia commented and Clay looked up at her. He watched as she pulled her hand away. "I'm done."

"I have changed, Nat." Clay whispered into the space between them. Natalia nodded, grabbing his hand. "You must've too. You're room is uncharacteristically clean."

"It keeps me from going insane." Natalia replied honestly.

"Well that's oddly productive." Clay muttered as he readjusted himself as if he were to stand.