+thirty nine+

"Where is she?" Was the first thing she asked her father.

He looked at her. "You shouldn't have come, Mai."

She gave him an indignant look, "I can't believe you even suggested that."

He shook his head, "It's not something I want you to ever have to go though."

Maia thought she would faint, "What is it."

Her father looked defeated, "She's in coma. They're doing what they can."

Maia felt her eyes fill with tears, "What does that mean?" She asked.

Her father shook her head.

"Say it!"

"She might die!" He yelled, "There's a fifty percent chance she won't make it."

They stared at each other.

"Oh, Mai." He whispered, his voice broken, "What would I do without her?"

She silently walked to her dad and put her arms around him, as he silently cried into her shoulder.

"Shh," She whispered, "Dad, she's going to be fine. Mom's a fighter. It's going to take more than some measly stairs to do damage on her."

Her father rubbed his eyes, "You're right. She's probably scoffing at me right now and calling me a wuss."

She eyed her father, "Yeah, she's not the only one."

Her father poked her, "You little imp."

She smiled as they stood there, their arms around each other.

And right then, the only thought that ran through Maia's head was, she was so damn lucky to have her family.

Oliver less chapter today. Sowwy.