*8*

WARNINGS: "Burn" "Torture"

Sophia's POV:

We obey her, and we are soon out in the sun, dressed in our funeral best. I didn't feel my best, I felt like I was going to throw up and die, I felt like I was melting in the New Orleans sun-rare for me.

Madison, "Where are we going? It's too hot. My freaking vagina is sweating" Fiona held a black umbrella to cover herself, "To Popp Fountain. A kind of holy place for our order. Back in the 1970s, Mary Oneida Toyo's led an alternative coven down here. She and her sister witches would gather there proudly and publicly. Very much in the spirit of the times."

Fiona, "It was damaged during Katrina. And the authorities used this as an excuse to declare this sacred place, a safety hazard. It's been closed off ever since" Zoe, "I don't understand. What are we supposed to do if we can't get in?" Fiona, "Tear the wall down. When witches don't fight, we burn."

Madison, "This is seriously the worst field trip ever" I say to her, "Shut up, bitch" But, it was in a voice that was not my own. My grandmother, "Esch one of you has a unique gift, but that's not nearly enough to be a real witch."

Madison, "And you're a real witch?" Nan, "She's the Supreme" Grandma, "You know that one, and Sophia, their smarter than all of you put together."

The tour guide, "This very house, the center of New Orleans high society, was also a place of abject horror." Fiona was able to use her gifts, to get us into the tour for free, "The Code Noir, a decree that dictated the conditions of slavery did not exist on these grounds. It was replaced by the Madame's own code of terror. And the torture she inflicted on her slaves would spawn 179 years of hauntings."

"No shit" I say to myself. Woman, "Correct, the actor, Nicholas Cage was a previous owner. Madame LaLaurie was infamous for her vanity. She fought the rigors of age with a sacrament of expensive creams from Europe, and something else far more exotic."

I say, "Blood. She used the blood of her slaves." She says, "Correct. The secret ingredient to the Madame's beauty ritual was a poultice made from human pancreas."

She showed us the place where unimaginable terrors took place, "This is the infamous chamber of horrors. The attic where Madame LaLaurie inflicted heinous torture upon her slaves. And, where she ultimately met her own demise."

"Unbeknownst to Madame LaLaurie, a slave she had brutally mutilated" I interrupt, "The one about the Minotaur" She says, "Someone's been doing their research. He was Marie Laveau's lover, and she came to exact her revenge."

"The potion inflicted its cruel justice, and she got what she richly deserved. But her body was never found. To this day, no one knows the final resting place of Madame LaLaurie."