*15*

WARNINGS: "High" "Drugs" "mentions of murder" "betrayal"

Sophia's POV:

I helped my now, blind mother into her room, "Okay. We are going to walk straight into your bedroom." Her boyfriend said, "She made it up the stairs on her own." Grandma, "Of course she did. She's tough. She's a survivor."

My mother says, "She's right here" He closes the door behind her, as she takes her blind sunglasses off, "Why are there roses in here?" Grandma, "Why, I thought you might enjoy them. They're the very last of your heirlooms."

Mom, "Roses pull in love and romance. That's not what I'm looking for right now. I need chrysanthemums. Like the ones Sophie has brought me. All kinds of them, for strength and protection."

Her boyfriend, "Doctor said, bed rest, for at least a week." My mother gasps when he presses on her stomach, "Who is she?" She asks him, "Who is the redhead?" I knew my mother was not lying, and I knew that there was something wrong with him.

He insists, "I don't know what you're talking about" Mom, "Enough bullshit! Anything else you what to tell me now? Because I will see it sooner or later." I help her sit down, she puts her hand on mine, "Thank you, love."

I smile, as she smiles at me, "I had to go blind to see things about you I couldn't see before. A bad cosmic joke. It's a different kind of clarity. An absolute clarity I've never had. The images almost vibrate, with light."

Salem, "You think you got it bad? I'm supposed to be on my honeymoon." He was writing on the bored, 'I will not kill Hilda,' in the style of detention-style writings.

Grandma, "Thank Christ she's finally got your number." The boyfriend explains, "She's high as a kite. You know what they gave her before we left the hospital?"

Mom, "I'm high, all right. But it's not the drugs, and rest assured, you will be accountable for every single betrayal, no matter how deep you think your secrets are buried."

She shouts for him to leave, but he does not, "Baby...Now, you're my heart" the door bangs open. Grandma, "I'd get out while you still can, jug head." He leaves that time.

My mother, "I wanted to sever his arms and throw him out the window. I had to stop myself" Grandma, "You've been given the Sight. It comes in bits and pieces. It's the greatest gift to have. And the hardest one to live with."

Salem runs out of the kitchen, "Tell the kitchen processor that you never saw me."

She gasps again, "Why didn't you tell me?" Grandma's eyes widen, "What? What? What did you see?" Mom, "Auntie Myrtle" she begins to softly cry. Grandma, "I wanted to tell you, Delia, but you were in so much pain, and I didn't want to add to it."

Mom, "Burned at the stake?" Grandma, "Yes. For what she did to you. Yes" Mom, "No. That cannot be" Grandma apologizes to my mother. Grandma and I left my mother to have some alone time.