*13*

WARNINGS: "Missing" "Death" "Spirit board"

Sophia's POV:

Zoe, "Over a hundred years ago, this academy was packed in capacity. They had bunk beds, and slept eight to a room. Now, notice anything?" Nan smiles in a girly manner, "Yeah. Luke's not here."

Nan, "His mom keeps slamming the door on me" I say, annoyed, "You know the reason for that, Nan." Zoe, "Sophia, Nan, stay with me. Look at the pictures."

We look at them again, closely this time, "Our numbers have gone down every year for a century straight." I don't get why Zoe doesn't get it, "Didn't my mother tell you the reason for that, Zoe?"

Zoe, "Yes, but witches are dying. In Salem, there were hundreds of us. Now, there's four. Used to be five, until Madison went missing or died. And, no one in charge has done shit."

Queenie, "We'll go to Fiona" Zoe, "Last I checked, she was setting witches on fire" I say, "She has a point" Zoe, "Okay. Madison wants us to find her, and we can't afford to lose a single witch."

Zoe, "If we want to survive. From now on, we watch each other's backs." I say, "Who died, and made you God?" Queenie, "Yeah, look. I've been taking care of myself for a really long time, so I'm not sure I need some white girl sorority sisters to cover my ass."

I ask, "And, what is this green shit? For all we know, you could be trying to poison us." Zoe, "It's not a sorority, it's a coven, and this is absinthe-drink of the divine. Which we are." Nan drinks it, then Queenie, "Fine" I drink some too, then Zoe.

Next thing, you know. They are sitting by sides of the spirit board. I looked at it and said, "Hell no! I'm not messing with that shit. Fuck no." I chose to sit on the couch, and watch them instead.

Queenie whispers to Zoe, "Some family members of hers drove themselves insane with playing one of these. Where'd you find the spirit board?" Zoe, "More like it found me" Queenie, "Do you know what these things do? I get why Sophia doesn't want to join."

Zoe, "They contact the dead" Queenie, "You don't know shit." I say, "Spirit boards have two stages: contact and release." Queenie, "I saw my grandma use one once. She thought it was cool, too, till a bad spirit came out, burned her house to the ground, and took half her face off with it."

Zoe, "There's three of us. Four, if you count Sophia. You want to find Madison? Witch up" Nan, "So, what do we do?" I say, "Ask questions. But be polite."

Zoe asks the board, "Are we alone?" It answered 'No.' Queenie asks, "Did you die here?" It answers, 'Yes.' Zoe, "Were you murdered?" It answers, 'Yes.'

I look at Zoe, "Ask who did it?" Zoe does, "Who killed you?" It reveals, "You did." I openly ask, "Madison? Is this you?" It moves by itself, 'No.'

Zoe, "Who are you?" It spells out, "Axeman." Queenie and I yell, "Wait. Stop. Stop. Stop." I knock the thing off the board, and say, "If survival is so important to you, you better find out who you're talking to." I blow the candles out.

Salem, "Aww, thank you. I'll never bare false witness to Fluffy, again." I could only think of Fluffy from 'Harry Potter' when he said that.