ONE

"Life is emotionally abusive

"Life is emotionally abusive."

I woke up tired, as per usual. My feet were swollen, and I had a sharp pain in my back.
I hadn't slept much due to working late, and I still had to come home to finish my assignment for school.

I study culinary arts to become a pastry chef, and I work at a dessert Café as a baker to earn money to pay my fees. So, I basically work as a baker to pay to learn how to become one. The irony of it all.

As I was just about to close my eyes again, a drop of water from my roof prevented that. What a nice way to know that it's raining outside.

I finally got up and pulled out the container that I kept under my bedside table and placed it on my neatly made bed to collect the water.

My life is so stupid, I thought to myself.

I've been trying to get my landlord to fix the leaks in my apartment all week, and now the water has found a new spot to come through.

It would be smart for me to move my bed, but unfortunately, that would make the situation worse as there are leaks in the roof of my entire bedroom. It just wouldn't change a thing if I moved it.

The only leak-free room that I have in this cube of an apartment is my kitchen. Just three rooms, a tiny bedroom, a tiny bathroom, and a tiny kitchen.

Welcome to my crummy scummy apartment in Chicago.

I sighed and made my way into the bathroom only to turn on the tap and see that there was no water.

That's just fucking great.

This happens often, usually when too many people in the building have their water on at once.

I grabbed a water bottle from my school bag and swallowed my antidepressants.

Broke and depressed? Pick a struggle.

It was already 5:30, so I hurriedly packed up my clothes into a little duffel bag for school and set out my work clothes. I had to be at the Café by 6, and it was a 15-minute walk from where I live.

I went back to the bathroom, and luckily, the water was running, so I thoroughly brushed my teeth, and I took a shower.

After that, I styled my long, thick, coily hair into a low bun with a side part and laid my baby hairs. I then tied my hair down with a head scarf and put on my work clothes, which consisted of a white chef's coat and a pair of black pants that I ironed before going to bed. I slipped on a pair of socks and my sneakers, gathered all my things, and headed out the door.

By this time, I knew I was going to be late since it was already 5:55, and I had 10 minutes of my walk left. Nevertheless, I walked as quickly as I could, breaking a sweat in the process.

I finally made it into the building through the back door, and I placed my cap over my head even though I still had on my headscarf.
I quickly got to work as I was handed a list of pastries I had to make before my shift was over.

*****

"Hey," I was interrupted by a masculine voice that I knew all too well.
It was Jonathan. He works as a server. He's also the owner's son, Clara.
Clara's Café.

"What's up?" I smiled brightly and took a good look at him.

I'd be lying if I said he wasn't attractive. To be quite honest, there wasn't anything extraordinary about Jonathan's looks. He was just good-looking.

"Nothing much. Just thought I'd check in on you since I haven't seen you all morning. He flashed his pearly whites and leaned on the doorframe for support.

I glanced at the clock above the calendar and realized that it was already 10 a.m.

"I got here late and didn't want to waste any more time. You know how it goes," I turned around to go over to the large, industrial oven at the sound of the alarm, indicating that the last batch of sourdough had finished baking.

"Mhm, yeah. Totally. Listen, would you um- want to go get some coffee with me by any chance - only if you want to," I heard him stumble over his words. I smiled a little at that, but he couldn't see me because I was still pulling all the trays of bread from the oven.

I turned around to see that a bright pink blush had taken over his cheeks.

"Of course, I would like that very much," I smiled warmly at him.

His posture immediately straightened, and relief visibly washed over his face.

"Sure, just tell me when," his voice was more steady than it was a few seconds ago. I fought the urge to laugh.

Cute.

"I'll be sure to do that," I winked, putting that blush right back on his cheeks.

"You have class at eleven today. Would you like me to drive you?" He scratched the back of his neck nervously, awaiting my response.

"Thank you,  let me just get changed, " I gave him a dimpled smile.

He nodded and quickly headed back to the front desk.
I placed all the loaves and cakes on the cooling racks and went to the bathroom to get changed.

I took off my work clothes and put on my clothes for the day. It consisted of a pair of tight jeans, a crop top, and some air forces. Nothing too special. I applied some concealer on my face and brushed some mascara on my long eyelashes, then I put some lip liner and gloss on my plump lips. I removed my headscarf and looked at myself in the mirror, satisfied with my appearance. I sprayed on some light body mist, which was followed by some perfume.

I checked the time on my phone, and it was 10:32. I grabbed my things and walked to the front desk to meet Jonathan. He was sitting patiently holding two to-go cups of Earl Grey from the Café.

"Hi," I smiled, getting his attention.

"You look so much better when you don't have flour and icing on you," he joked and handed me one of the cups.

"Why, thank you. You also look so much better when you don't have anxiety dripping off you after taking every customer's order," I playfully rolled my eyes at the blond boy standing before me.

"That's fair," he chuckled. We both walked out the door as we joked some more and got on our way to campus.

Today is going to be a long ass day. I can already feel it.

 I can already feel it