SIXTEEN

"You don't ever have to be stronger than you really are when you're lying in my arms."

Aurielle and I began getting ready for my mother's wedding. She coaxed me into going to the stupid wedding. According to her, I needed to be there to support my mother since she had no other family.

If only she knew.

As much as I hate to admit it, I had been acting rather childish towards this entire situation. Aurielle helped me to realise that, since I couldn't see it through my immature rage.

I'm glad that I invited her into my life, and I'm glad that she stayed.  I never let anyone close to me to show them my vulnerability. The reason isn't that I'm scared of showing weakness because I am not weak. It's a fact. I just never had anyone to talk to, I had no one to love.

My love had been there helping me through everything, but she was dealing with issues of her own. She took antidepressants regularly but never went to therapy. I knew that she was afraid to talk, scared that she'd break if she let her walls down. I felt happy that she was able to tell me about her family that night, but I saw something in her eyes. It was regret.

"Honey," she softly called from behind me. I had just been staring at myself in the mirror, looking soulless.

"Yes, amore?" I tried to fake a smile.
"Don't do that," she frowned lightly.

"Don't do what?" I furrowed my brows in confusion.

"You never have to fake a smile in front of me, you know that," she held both my hands in hers.

"I just don't want to worry you," I said, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"I'd worry about you either way," she began tying my tie.

"Why?" I brushed some of her curls from her eyes.

"Because I care about you. Tell me how you feel, honestly, " her eyes softened at the sight of me.

"I feel like shit," I shrugged, turning to pull up the long zip of her dress from behind.

"How can I help you?" She turned around to look at me again.

"Just..." I began, not knowing how I wanted to be helped.

"Be here for me," I said finally, brushing my hand against her soft cheek.

"I'll always be here for you," she leaned up and placed a kiss on my cheek.

I hugged her, giving her a quiet thank you.

*****

"It's so nice to finally meet you, Aurielle," my mother smiled brightly.

"Likewise, Mrs...."

"Oh, please call me Alexandria," she pulled Aurielle in for a motherly hug, kissing her cheek.

"Nice to meet you, Alexandria," Aurielle returned her kiss.

I roughly cleared my throat. It seemed like they had forgotten my presence as they had both gotten into a deep conversation about something I didn't care about.

"Giovanni, have some respect. Don't you see we're talking?" My mother scolded.

"M-" she cut me off abruptly.

"Oh, you've done so well for yourself. She's so beautiful! Much better than Jessica," she said again. I saw Aurielle tense at hearing Jessica's name.

"Yes, she is," I said simply, placing my arm around her waist and resting my hand above her ass.

"Look, my husband is walking over. He's been wanting to meet you too, preziosa," I rolled my eyes at this.

Aurielle saw my annoyance and pinched my side," Be nice."

"Giovanni! Long time no see, son," Iman greeted.

"Yeah, the last time I saw you was at your best friend's funeral," I gave him a fake smile.

"And this must be Aurielle, " he ignored the tension and turned to the woman beside me, pressing a kiss to the back of her hand.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Morello," she smiled warmly at the man.

"Of course, " he smirked.

I hate him.

I walked off to get a drink and bumped into the one person I never wanted to see.

"Brother," he smirked, walking towards me, completely forgetting about the brunette who accompanied him.

"What do you want?" My eyes burned holes through his face.

"Why so hostile?" He casually took a sip of the beverage in his glass, still keeping the stupid smirk on his face.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I held myself back from shooting him.

"I couldn't possibly miss my own mother's wedding, could I?" He said, walking off to the direction in which my family stood.

"Mother, father, sister-in-law!" Francesco greeted them all.

Aurielle looked confused at him calling her sister-in-law but she quickly covered it.

Francesco kissed the back of her hand, lingering for far too long before I smacked him away.

"We've never met before, " Francesco said to Aurielle.

"We haven't, but it's nice meeting you now," she smiled politely.

They all immersed themselves into comfortable conversations, with Aurielle ignoring the fact that I never mentioned having a step-brother now.

I'm petty and I accept that.
Francesco stole my girlfriend in our freshman year of high school and I'm still upset with him for it. We used to be best friends.

I need to learn to let shit go.