SEVEN

"It's only you and I, and that's the way we'll stay."

It had been three days since my meltdown in the kitchen with Giovanni. I was glad that he agreed on letting me go to school.
I was informed by the maid, Clementine, that Giovanni enrolled me into the top performing culinary arts university in Italy. I was happy about this, but I might have preferred it if he had given me the news himself.

I hadn't seen him since that night and I felt almost sad about that. I don't know him, why should I be sad? I shouldn't miss him.

But I do. Fuck me.

"Miss Sharbino, Don wants to meet you downstairs in his study immediately," Clementine said with her head down, never meeting my eyes.

"Please, call me Aurielle," I smiled warmly at the middle-aged woman.

"I- D-Don wouldn't like that. I must do as he instructed," she said, insisting on keeping the formality.

"That's quite alright, Clementine. Thank you for telling me, I'll be there shortly. Enjoy the rest of your day," I smiled.

"Likewise, ma'am," she bowed and left my room with haste.

I gathered all my courage and walked downstairs to his study. I knew where it was, as it was the only room I was forbidden to enter.

As I got to the large door, I stood there for a minute preparing myself. I was anxious.

I knocked the door softly and heard him say to come in.
I opened the door and walked in to see him sitting behind a large desk with neatly piled papers on one end, a jar of pens and pencils at the center front and other office necessities packed away on the desk.

I hadn't realized that I had been standing at one corner, just staring. I heard him clear his throat to get my attention.

"Are you alright, bellissima?"
"I'm fine, I just zoned out," I said, looking at him.

He wore a black shirt with black dress pants and dress shoes. He had two of his shirt buttons undone exposing the tattoos he had on his chest.

"How have you been?" He said as he motioned for me to take a seat.
"I've been okay," I mumbled as I sat.

"Just okay?" He studied me carefully as if he had detected a lie.
"Yeah. There's nothing much to it, really," I shrugged, not caring to talk about it.

"Clementine informed me that you had not been well. Is that so?" He leaned forward in his chair and put down his pen, giving all his attention to me.

"What exactly did she say?" I asked, raising a brow.
"You didn't answer the question," he said calmly.

"I'm fine."
"You're lying."
"Oh? Is that so?" I challenged.

"Yes, it is," he said simply.
"Well, that's unfortunate," I replied, sarcasm laced in my tone.