FIVE

"I'm sorry

"I'm sorry. "

I took her downstairs and brought her to the kitchen where the maid, Clementine had prepared food for us.
I still had her smaller hand in mine and it felt perfect. Her hands were so soft.

We sat down on the bar stools behind the large island and allowed Clementine to put our food in front of us. She excused herself and left us alone to eat.

Aurielle began picking at her food and moving it around in her plate without taking a single bite.

"You're not hungry?" I asked, giving her all my attention.

"No," she replied. Shortly after, I heard her stomach rumble. She looked away in embarrassment.

"Well, your stomach is saying otherwise, " I raised a brow at her.

She pushed her plate away and moved around on the stool uncomfortably.

"What's wrong?" I asked, bringing her face to look at me.

"I don't want to eat," she huffed.
"Hunger strike?" I sighed.

"Even though that would be a good idea, I just can't eat right now," she continued shifting on the stool.

I nodded at her, signaling for her to go on.
"I can't eat in front of people I don't know. It's weird," she confessed.

"There's nothing to worry about, I won't judge you, " I smiled lightly.

"I still won't eat," she said.
So stubborn.

"I'll feed you then."
"Mhm- wait, what?" She was shocked at what I said.

I put some lasagna on the fork, "open."
And she did just that.

She chewed and swallowed, avoiding my gaze.

"What if I was vegetarian, hmmm? Ever thought of that?" She looked at me once again.

"I did think of that actually. And no, you are not, " I said as I put some salad on the fork and held it up to her mouth. She welcomed it once again.

"Hm, you never know. Maybe I could have made the change ten minutes ago," she said after clearing the food from her mouth.

"That would be a sight to see," I said more to myself. She didn't seem to notice as she was happily eating from her own plate by herself.

I looked at her fondly and she seemed to have realized that I was looking at her.

"Are you judging me?" She wiped her mouth.
"Simply just admiring your beauty, amore," I said.

"You're weird, you know that right?" She raised an eyebrow at me.

"How so?" I continued eating.

"You just scraped a girl up off the streets and now you have her in your house calling her beautiful," she laughed as she pushed around her food on the plate once more.

"Maybe that is weird but it's worth it," I shrugged.

She hummed as she got back to eating her food. I was happy that she started to get more comfortable. The last thing that I'd want is for her to not feel comfortable in my presence.

She means a lot to me already.

"Gio," she pulled me from my thoughts.
I froze at the shortening of my name.
Normally, I hate people giving me nicknames but this time I didn't mind it.

"Oh sorry, did I upset you?" She apologized quickly.

"It's alright, bellissima. You could never upset me," I smiled lightly.

She looked away, refusing to meet my eyes.

"What did I tell you? Always look at me," I said firmly.

Why won't she look at me?

"It's difficult at times. Holding eye contact makes me uncomfortable," she said, trying to look at me. She failed not long after.

"Your comfort is my top priority. Now what were you going to say?"

"Oh right, what about school?" She asked.

"What about it?" I replied, my tone harder than before.

"Won't I ever get to go back?" Her eyes got sad and it pulled something in my chest.

"You don't need to. You have everything right here," I said, wanting to be done with the conversation.

"You can't expect to just pull me out of school, Giovanni. I have plans for life," she replied softly, sounding sad about what I said.

"Well, I already did."

"How will I get a job now? How will I earn money?" She turned to look at me.

"You don't need money from working in some hot ass bakery. I put money into your account, " I tried to remain calm.

"Oh my fucking- ugh! Are you hearing yourself right now?" By this time her eyes were full of tears.

She cries when she's upset. Hmm, that's a new one.

"Any other woman would be dying to be in your position right now," I continued to eat, remaining calm.

"Well I'm not just any other woman. I want to have things for myself, a life!"
I let out a heavy sigh, ignoring her protests.

She quickly got up and walked up the stairs. I'd assume she went into the bedroom.

I abandoned my plate and followed her. She sat at the top of the staircase curled up to one corner, wiping away the tears as quickly as they fell.

I walked up and sat down and wrapped my arms around her.

"Let me go!" She tried to wiggle out of my grasp.

"No."

After a few minutes of fighting and screaming, she finally got tired and gave in, leaning into me.
Her crying had now died down into light sniffles every now and then.

I hugged her closer to me and rubbed her back soothingly.
"I'm sorry," I whispered.
She didn't say anything, she just continued to wet my shirt with her slow tears.

"You'll have as you wish," I said and kissed her temple.
"Really?" I heard her hoarse voice ask.

"Yes, anything for you," I wiped her puffy eyes. Her long eyelashes were all wet and her hazel eyes were glossy once more.

"Thank you," she rested her head onto my chest and squeezed me tighter.
"No need, bellissima," I smiled at her.

I hated seeing her cry.

"Are you tired?" I looked down at her.
I got no response as she had already fallen asleep.

I picked her up bridal style and placed her onto the bed in the room I had for her.

I pulled the duvet over her and turned off the two lamps on each bedside table.
I kissed her forehead and quietly walked out the room, closing it behind me.

Aurielle Sharbino, what are you doing to me?