TEN

"

I'm Mr Lonely."

For the past few months, Aurielle and I had been sleeping in the same bed. My room was built with a walk-in closet divided in two, His & Hers. We moved all of her belongings with mine, and it made me happy.

Everything smelled like her.

She started school months ago, and I had her take a driver with two body guards. I was the most powerful man in Italy and the entire mafia circle of the world, and it is obvious that people would be after me and what I loved most. Of course, she put up a fight, but I couldn't allow her to walk around with no protection.

I couldn't stand being away from her, but I had business to take care of, and I'd been in Spain for a week now. To say that I was irritated would be an understatement. I don't have my woman with me, and everyone is annoying.

"You miss her, don't you?" I looked over to see Donatello grinning like a Cheshire cat.

"Don't piss me off," I grumbled, undoing the buttons from my cuffs.

"Aww, he's grumpy, " he cooed. I picked up an empty water bottle and threw it at his head.

"Hey, what's with the violence, fratello?" He smirked and downed the rest of the bottle of his vodka. I internally cringed at that.

"You seriously have to lay off of that," I said, pointing to the now empty bottle of alcohol in his hand.

"Stop worrying about me, I'm fine," he said in between hiccups.

"Are you? Are you really?" I sighed as I began picking up the shot glasses he had laying around the penthouse.

"Yessss," he grinned.

"I'm cutting you off. Otherwise, you'd end up killing yourself."

We stayed in silence for a while as I cleaned up. He broke it soon enough.

"Why did he have to do it?" My best friend now had tears in his eyes. I walked over to him and awkwardly pat his back. The only person who I could effectively comfort was Aurielle. It just came naturally.

"There are shitty people in the world, Donny."

"But why did it fucking have to be him?" He whimpered. He was in so much pain, I could tell.

"Why couldn't he love me as much as I loved him?" He continued.

I didn't know what to say, so I sat on the floor listening to him. He didn't want anything more, he just needed someone to listen.

"Am I unlovable, Giovanni? Do you think so?" He asked, wiping his tears with his sleeves.

"You are loveable and you are loved," I said simply.

"I'm lonely, " the tears flowed from his eyes again, heavier this time.

"I know. You'll find someone who'd love you in the way you love them, and you'd be so happy," I leaned back against the wall, looking at the ceiling, awaiting his response.

"When?"
"Soon."
"How soon?"
"I don't know."
"Why don't you know?"
"Because I'm not God."
"But you don't believe in God."
"Exactly. "

"Why-" he began again, but I cut him off.
"I think that's enough questions for tonight, " I stood up then began helping him up.

Just as he was on his feet, he threw up on the floor.

That was expected.

I called for the house help and she began to clean up.

I went to my room and got changed then went to bed. Not long after, I let the darkness consume me.

****

"Giovanni DaVinci! Good to see you," an older man, Pedro called out to me.

There was a 'small' get-together for the important heads of the mafia around the world. By no means was this get-together small. Everyone was here.

Pedro was the right hand man of the leader of the Mexican mafia.

"Long time no see," I greeted him with a firm handshake.

Before my father died, he signed an agreement between their mafia and ours, so there was no tension between us. For years after I've taken over, I worked to keep up our agreement.

"We've all been busy, haven't we?" He smiled, showing more of the lines on his face.

"Yes, we have," I chuckled as I took a glass of champagne from the server.

"After all these years, I'm becoming a father," he said proudly.

"Congratulations. I see you've finally decided to settle down," I said knowingly.

He was 56 and his wife was about 25, if she's even there already. Quite the age gap, but who am I to judge?
I'm 23 and Aurielle is only 19, which isn't really that bad at all.

"We've only got a few more weeks to go. We couldn't be happier."

It was good that he chose not to bring her here, it was far too dangerous. We generally don't bring our women to these events.

"You'd make an amazing father," I pat him on the back and made my way over to Donny who was conversing with some people from the Mexican mafia as well.

Just as I got closer to him, gunshots rang out and I had already gotten my gun and began shooting while trying to take cover.

I knew this was going to happen. We were at war with the Americans, as per usual.
They're by far the most difficult people I've ever encountered. Full of theft and dishonesty. They were at war with everyone, except the Russians. The American mafia had lost its touch for a while and signed an agreement with the Russian mafia, who protected them.

The Russians were well respected, but they were also known for being deceitful. Everyone knows that the Americans are some no-good cowards, and that made their alliance more bad than good. It would damage them both.

I'd hate to see the two groups lose everything.

That's a lie. I hate them both.

Donatello had begun firing back  and the entire room was shot up. Everyone had their guns out or were physically fighting.

"Fuck!" I felt a bullet graze my side, but I ignored it, as I had a more important matter at hand to deal with. Adrenaline coursed through my body as I shot and fought. Injuring and killing many.

I was supposed to be on a flight home tonight. I hope Aurielle is asleep when I get home.