ELEVEN

"But I love that man like nobody can."

I haven't seen Gio in over a week, and I missed him a lot. I wasn't completely lonely as I had made a new friend at school. His name is Pierre, and he was also an American student studying here. After meeting him on my first day, we quickly became friends.

It was 1 a.m. and I felt as though something was wrong. It kept me up tossing and turning all night.

I heard a noise coming from downstairs and I heard a glass break.

There were only two possibilities, it was either Giovanni had come home or there was someone here to murder me.
I hoped that it was the former.

I locked the bedroom door just in case I was in danger, then I sat and waited with a knife in hand.

"Bellissima?" I heard Gio's voice from behind the door as he knocked.

I hurriedly went to unlock the door, only to see him in such a state.

"What happened?" I held onto his side to give him some support. He had difficulties walking.

"I just got into some stuff. Don't worry about it, principessa," he winced with every step.

I helped him walk into the large bathroom in our room without saying anything.

"Sit," I ordered.

"I've done this before, I can handl-" I cut him off before he could finish.

"I said sit!" I raised my voice above my normal tone.
I got some gauze and some wound antiseptic from the medicine cabinet and stood in between his legs as he sat up on the counter.

I began cleaning the cuts on his face.

"Can you be more gentle?" He grimaced and slightly pulled away only for me to just roughly pull it back.

"Yeah, well, that's what happens when things like this happen," I snapped.

"I understand that you're mad -"

"Of course I am. I'm fucking pissed. You've been gone for two fucking weeks and you never called to say that you're okay, but clearly you're not," I continued working on his face as I spoke.

"I got caught up," he said softly.

"That's all you have to say, Giovanni? You got caught up? You got so caught up that you couldn't call to say that you're staying longer than expected?" I stepped away and washed my hands.

"I'm sorry."
"I know you are," I rolled my eyes.

He got up off the counter to walk into the bedroom and I saw his shirt lift up a little.

"What is that?" I said, moving towards him.
"It's nothing," he said dismissively.

"Please tell me that's not a gunshot wound," I looked at him, trying not to cry.

"It's already taken care of. Someone saw to it before I came here," he pulled me towards him, placing a kiss on my forehead.

"You could have died," I held him close to me, still being cautious of his injured torso. I was quite short compared to him as I was 5'4 and he was 6'6.

"But I didn't," he said as he rubbed my back to comfort me.

"You need to rest, I'll get some painkillers and water," I said as I quickly pulled away and made my way downstairs to get the glass of water.

I took a glass out of the cupboard and rinsed it under the running water. I turned the tap off and stood there for a while without being able to move.

He could have died. It all just kept replaying in my mind. Suddenly, I couldn't breathe and I felt like something was sitting on my chest. My heart was racing and I was hot.

No, no, no, not now.

"You're okay. I'm okay. It's okay," I kept repeating this to myself until I was up the stairs with the water.

"Thank you," he carefully sat up in the bed and took the pills.

I laid beside him and turned off the lamp on my side.

I couldn't sleep so I just laid there until morning unable to close my eyes, not even once.

Giovanni slept as usual, spooning me. It was as though this was normal, like it was all okay. It wasn't.

****
"You're up early," I heard him say from behind me in the bathroom. I had come to get my antidepressants from the medicine cabinet.

I just nodded and walked out. I went down to the kitchen to get some water and I took my pill.

"Good morning, ma'am, " Clementine greeted with a smile on her face. I returned the greeting and sat to eat what the chef had prepared for breakfast. She made french toast with some fruit and scrambled eggs.

I thanked asked Clementine to thank her for me and began eating.

"What's the matter?" Giovanni sat beside me and took a plate for himself.

I just continued to eat, and I had nothing to say.

"Look at me," he said, turning my face to him. I closed my eyes.

"Goddammit, Aurielle!" He slammed his hand onto the table, shaking it.

You can shout all you want. I still wouldn't care.

"Why won't you talk to me?" He looked pissed.

"I have nothing to say to you," I replied simply and continued eating.

"Surely you do since you're acting like this," he quipped.

"What the fuck do you want me to say? Tell me what you want me to say and I'll do just that," I got up and put my plate into the sink.

"I can't stand to see you like this. Look at you, you're in pain," I shook my head and folded my arms.

"I already told you not to worry about it," he stood up coming towards me.

"How can I not worry? The man I love just walked into our house past midnight all bloody and busted up!" I shouted in frustration.

"You love me?" He was in shock. It seemed like that was the only thing he got from my rant.

Yes, I loved that man way more than he could ever know.