THIRTEEN

"What are you waiting for?"

"Yes, mother. I'll be there," I groaned for the umpteenth time over this phone call.

"And bring your girlfriend too. Iman and I have been dying to finally meet her! Donatello has told us so much about her, " my mother, Alexandria chirped through the other end.

"Why would Iman want to see her? Does he want to steal her when I die, too?" I scoffed.

"If you keep acting like this, I'll hang up the phone, Giovanni, " she scolded.

"Fine. Goodbye, mother."

"Giov-" before she could finish, I had already cut the call.

I sighed in annoyance as I slammed my phone down on the desk.

"Gio?" My love called from behind the door.

"Come in," I immediately started to feel better as I saw her walk in, her perfume filling the room to calm my nerves.

"Is everything okay?" She asked softly as she walked over to me.

I let out a frustrated groan and pulled her into my lap, holding her tightly.
She relaxed into my arms and began running her fingers through my hair, massaging my scalp. She hummed in understanding.

Aurielle understood that I didn't have it in me to talk about anything at the moment. She knew me so well already.
For the past weeks, that's just how it has been going; I'd be stressed from dealing with the mafia and my business, and she'd comfort me in any way she could.

That's what I love about her. She is caring, warm, and above all else, she is patient.

I held her waist securely and buried my face into her chest. To be honest, her breasts can fix all of my problems in this world. Of course, I'm exaggerating, but they do make me feel better.

"I love you," she faintly whispered as she placed a kiss on my head.

"I love you too, tesoro," I whispered back, giving her a slow and meaningful kiss on her soft lips.

"Take a nap with me," she said as she got up, seeing the tiredness in my face.

This is our new thing that we've started doing, taking random naps throughout the day when she's not at school.

According to her, sleep could put our problems on hold for a while until we wake up to find a solution. The pause button of life is what she calls it.

She's not completely wrong, but it doesn't really put a pause button on life itself.
While you're resting to figure yourself out, the world quickly moves on without you.

Life would always go on. With or without you. My father always reminded me of that.

I silently nodded with a smile and took her soft hand in mine as we walked up the large staircase to our room.