Chapter Twenty-Four

"These past couple weeks have been hard, but Mattheo has been there to ease the pain"

It's only been a couple of weeks since the passing of Grace's older brother, Cedric, and his funeral. It was still a pretty rough couple of weeks in the family, having to have a missing chair at the dinner table and the quietness of the house. The Diggory family struggled to keep a lively atmosphere since the funeral. 

Grace would try her best, but it wasn't as lively as when Cedric was alive. However, although nothing could ever replace Cedric, someone was able to fill the hole in their unique way. 

These past weeks Grace and Mattheo have been able to get closer. It started with Enzo coming to check in on the family, while Mattheo followed along to check on Grace. Still, it was one day when Enzo got sick and couldn't show up, that Mattheo took a big step and went to the Diggory household on his own to check on the whole family.

It was awkward at first, Mattheo didn't know how to react to their sorrowful tones. He may know how to react to his own family and their dark and gloomy life, but he didn't know how to honestly react to their sadness. It was only after that day when Grace was saying goodbye to Mattheo, the blonde thanked him for being there for her family even though he didn't have to and kissed the brunette on his cheek that Mattheo became even more determined to get along with the Diggory family. 

Mattheo would come multiple times throughout the week, once with Enzo and the other times by himself. He would turn into a whole new person, listening to muggle stories from Amos, helping Grace's mother cook, and watching over Grace, making sure she wasn't sad. It wasn't long until the Diggory's finally accepted Mattheo's presence, filling the hole Cedric left them, in his way.

It was another sunny day, and the house was much more lively than it ever was in the past couple of weeks. Grace was in the kitchen practicing spells while her mother was cleaning and her father was reading a newspaper, it was a typical afternoon. The doorbell rang making Grace perk up, "Grace dear, can you get that?" Grace's mother said, the young blonde got up and responded. "Yes Mom" Grace said as she walked over to the door.

She opened the door and smiled seeing Mattheo standing there, "Hi Mattheo" Grace said with a smile. Mattheo smiled a bit seeing the young girl happy, "Would you like to come in?" She asked making Mattheo remember why he came. "Oh uh...I wanted to talk to you in private for a moment" The boy said making the girl nod as she stepped out and closed the door behind her. 

"So what did you want to talk to me about?" Grace asked looking at the boy, Mattheo admired Grace before clearing his throat slightly. "I uh..." Mattheo started unsure of what to say, "I've been meaning to ask you for...a bit now, but with everything I wasn't quite sure when to bring it up" Mattheo added making Grace tilt her head slightly.

"I was...I was wondering if you would like to go on another date with me?" Mattheo asked, Grace quickly remembered that she told Mattheo they would talk about them moving forward but never got the opportunity to.  "Oh Mattheo..." Grace started off, "If you don't want to I can keep waiting, I'm not going to pressure you" Mattheo added, not wanting Grace to reject him again. 

The blonde girl smiled and shook her head, "No~ I was going to say that I would love to" Grace said making the brunette boy smile. "Really?" He asked making Grace nod, "let me just tell my parents, and we'll go" Grace said as she walked back in to tell her parents that she will be out for the next couple hours.

Soon enough Grace came back out with a smile on her face, "So where will you be taking me today Mattheo?" Grace asked as they started walking. "Anywhere you want, what does your heart desire?" Mattheo asked as he wrapped his arm around Grace's shoulder. Grace thought for a moment, "I'd love to go to a lake, somewhere away from all this noise" Grace said making Mattheo nod.

"Then a lake we shall go" Mattheo said grabbing the girls' hand before pulling out his wand, Grace smiled intertwining her fingers with Mattheo's. "Ready my love?" Mattheo asked, Grace nodded with a smile. "I'm ready" She said making the brunette smile before apparating away.