Chapter 17: Survival

A/N This will be my first First Person chapter... I think. This chapter takes place between assassins (last few pages) and deserters (around when Deathbringer told Six-claws to go hide in the Scorpion Den)

My ears perked up, hearing distant talon steps. Approaching.

My body was in tremendous pain, my wings felt like they had been ripped off, and my head felt like it was split open. 

I forced my eyes open. I was on an island. Ocean and sand all around.   

I whacked my head for the memory, even though it hurt, and the accident I remember all too well. 

Lightning, pain, stars, a Nightwing with a frightened look, racing after me, and then... nothing.

DEATHBRINGER! Did he complete the mission?

My train of thought was cut off by approaching footsteps.

I forced my muscles to let me stand, and I almost howled in pain at the sudden pain, but I kept quiet as I heard the voices of other dragons. 

I let out a hiss instead of a howl. I cursed Deathbringer for not being here. 

The voices got closer and closer. I suddenly got a jolt of energy. 

My instincts ordered me to hide, so I looked around for somewhere to hide.

I looked around for a good spot, but there was none.

My instincts forced my body to turn in the direction of the ocean.

It took everything to lift my wings to my side so I wouldn't leave a track for those dragons to follow. And it was a struggle to keep my talon steps as light as possible. 

Without a thought, I fully submerged myself in the freezing cold water.

The salt in the water burned my injuries. It didn't help with how much I had, and I concluded that this was the most pain I've ever been in. I didn't open my eyes, as the salt would sting them until I would've clawed them out. 

I took a professional peek out of the water at the island. To make sure that I was far enough.

I saw three Sandwings, each with a confused and terrified look.

"Blister is going to kill us," one of them said, and I swear I saw them get paler. 

The other solemnly nodded in agreement.

"But where in the moons could she have gone? And what do you think we should do?" The biggest one asked. His eyes scanned the perimeter with a thoughtful expression. He stared out at the ocean. I ducked and held my breath for 30 seconds before resurfacing.

"... Could do that too, but if she finds out..." The Sandwing with a large scar on its chest growled. 

Do what?

The big one, who seemed to be in charge, hissed and looked down at the smallest one. "Arid, we're blaming you if Queen Blister finds out," he snapped.

Arid shakily nodded. The three of them headed back into the trees.

I swam back to shore and headed into the trees as well

What happened while I was out?

Where is Deathbringer?

Did Deathbringer complete the mission?

Or did he chicken out and leave?

The IDIOT!......

I walked into the figuring I could find my answer that way. 

Slowly, I worked my way through the trees. I approached an opening. I decided it would be best to climb into a tree.