Chapter 22: The Winglet

A few minutes later, Joy walked towards the prey center with Moon, Amber, and Kinkajou. The prey centre was quite loud. The small group stood at the entrance, taking in the chaos.

"Everyone, stop moving!" Clay bellowed. "Especially you, chickens! CHICKENS, GIVE UP! WE'RE GOING TO EAT YOU! THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT! STOP RUNNING AWAY RIGHT NOW!" Amber face-taloned.

"What is it?" Joy asked.

"That would be my dad," She explained. 

"Oooo Fruit!" Kinkajou exclaimed.

She flew over to a pile of fruit. "Come on, guys!" She called. The other three flew over to her and landed nearby. 

"What are these things?" Amber asked, holding up a vine of grapes. Joy laughed.

"You've never had fruit before?" She asked. Amber shook her head, and Kinkajou's jaw dropped.

"Oh my moons," Kinkajou gasped, "I'm so sorry."

Amber looked confused. "What are you sorry for?" She asked.

"You've never had fruit. Fruit is the best!" Kinkajou exclaimed. 

"Here, try these," Joy insisted, holding some berries. Amber tilted her head, "What's this?"

"They're berries. They're really good," Joy insisted. 

Amber reluctantly took the berries. She threw one into her mouth. The other three looked at her, waiting for her reply. Amber looked down at the berries in her talons with wide eyes.

"Oh, my moons!" She exclaimed, "These are delicious!"

"Moons," a voice behind them sighed. Amber turned to see Clay.

"Hey, Dad," she smiled.

"Hey, Amber," he replied," My plan hasn't gone exactly as... planned."

"You think? This place is MADNESS!" She laughed.

"I thought it'd be fun to have live prey like we did growing up. I guess it's more manageable with five dragonets than over forty," He admitted sheepishly.

"SCAVENGER!" Someone yelled. Clay frowned.

"We don't have those," He trailed off. Amber face-taloned.

You know what happens next.

The next day...

Moon awoke with a start.

"It's Morning!" Kinkajou sang while pouncing on Moon's tail. "Isn't that wonderful?"

"I know, right!" Amber exclaimed.

Moon blinked at the Rainwing, who was now more pink than yellow.

"It's the opposite of wonderful when you get woken up too early," Euphoria yawned and glared at Kinkajou.

"Sorry," Kinkajou apologised. Amber looked at Joy. She walked over and poked Joy. "Wake up," She whispered.

Amber narrowed her eyes. And she looked towards the scroll rack. She grabbed one and threw it at Joy. It hit Joy on the head. "OW!" Joy yelped. "What was that for?"

"Come on, let's go meet our winglet," Kinkajou urged, and as if on cue, a loud gong echoed through the halls. She quickly hurried them all out but didn't dare go near Carnelian. 

The group of five walked through the halls.

"Have you guys explored yet?" Amber asked.

"I've only really gone to the prey center, but that's all," Euphoria admitted.