Introduction

"Your Highness, the renowned knight of our kingdom is about to arrive," one of the generals respectfully informed the king.

"Allow her entry," the king gestured to the guards, instructing them to open the grand doors of the palace.

Beyond the imposing doors stood Rebecca, the greatest knight who had brought peace and order to the realm. She bore the legacy of her father, the king's most trusted knight, who had fallen in the heat of battle. Rebecca had stepped forward to fill his formidable boots.

"Greetings," Rebecca said with a graceful bow, displaying her deep respect for the king. "I extend my heartfelt gratitude for your unwavering support during my journey to the East. Now that I have returned, I pledge my unswerving loyalty to you, my king. I am ready to lay down my life in your service."

However, the king couldn't help but chuckle and exchanged a knowing glance with the queen at his side. "It's a lament that my offspring was born a girl. If only she had been a boy, I would have gladly offered her hand in marriage."

"Your compliment is most kind, sire," Rebecca replied, her head still lowered. "But our Princess possesses a striking beauty that would captivate the hearts of every nobleman in the realm."

"Yet, she has remained concealed from the world," the king remarked. "How can you vouch for her beauty when you've never seen her? Would you be willing to undertake the responsibility of her care, should I ask it of you?"

Rumors had circulated that the kingdom's princess was unsightly, which was why she had been kept hidden. Rebecca, however, remained unwavering in her devotion to the kingdom, regardless of whom she was tasked with protecting.

"It would be my honor to serve her, Your Majesty," Rebecca replied.

The queen sighed and gently clasped the king's hand. The ministers were divided on the matter. After all, Rebecca was not only the most skilled but also the most beautiful among all the ladies in the kingdom. They were hesitant to assign her to the princess's care.

"Your Majesty, might it not be more fitting for Rebecca to continue protecting you, our esteemed monarch?" one of the ministers ventured.

"My daughter is the rightful heir to my throne," the king responded firmly. "If any harm were to befall her, and subsequently, me, then your sons would inherit this kingdom. Is that the outcome you desire?"

The minister, abashed, took a step back.

"Summon the Princess immediately," the king ordered. However, a guard, trembling with anxiety, interrupted.

"Sire, the princess is nowhere to be found!"

Disclaimer: This story is from the author's imagination. The kingdom, the hierarchy, the power that individual holds are all fiction. Also, this story is a historical romance which is more romance in the making.