Chapter 5

The following morning, Becca and Non set out for South Seraphoria. This city stood apart from others, forgotten by the kingdom due to its unfavorable soil for agriculture. The king had left it to languish as if it were no longer part of his realm.

However, Becca couldn't shake the feeling that the king was secretly providing essential supplies to the residents here, who were primarily soldiers and laborers. The sight that greeted them, though, left her bewildered. The city bore the scars of a recent attack.

"What has happened here?" Non inquired of a lady seated under a tree, nibbling on a small piece of bread.

"Weeks ago, bandits descended upon South Seraphoria. With no able-bodied men to defend us, they plundered everything, even taking many women as slaves and for their amusement," the woman replied, her eyes brimming with tears. She turned her gaze toward Becca. "Please, Lady Becca, your heart is known to be compassionate. Surely, the king will heed your call for help. Our city is in dire need."

Becca was at a loss for words. She had never involved herself in the king's decisions regarding city affairs; she was merely a knight, dedicated to the country's defense.

"Lady Becca," the woman reached out for Becca's hand, but Non drew his sword, causing her to release her grip, still trembling. "I beg your pardon, General. Spare me," she implored, bowing to the ground. "I implore you to seek aid for us. My father, husband, and sons all serve the kingdom, yet we struggle to secure even the basic necessities we require here."

"You're frightening her, General. Lower your blade," Becca instructed. Gently, she lifted the woman's tear-stained face and met her eyes. "If the people here lack food and clothing, then how did you come by these provisions?"

The woman quivered and bowed again. "Please, do not harm Freen, Lady Becca. She's the one who has been distributing supplies here. I know she's regarded as an enemy of the nobility, but she's our only lifeline."

"You make a valid point," Becca murmured as she rose to her feet. "Indeed, she appears to be your only hope, but the truth is, I am not known for having a kind heart." With that, she turned and walked away.

"Shall we dispose of her, milady?" Non inquired.

Becca shook her head. "I do not feed them, so I shall not hold their lives in my hands."

Becca began her search for Freen, acknowledging that the innkeeper had been correct and was deserving of a reward. Perhaps she would bring something of value to her; Freen's finger could be her own reward.

"Milady, there's a distribution of goods taking place at the nearby inn. I suspect Freen may be there," Non reported.

"Let us make our way there at once," Becca declared, her fists clenched. Had Freen not stolen her necklace, none of this would be happening.

Upon arriving at the inn, Becca saw a crowd of commoners forming a line to receive free food and clothing. They all bowed upon sighting her; she was not surprised, as her face and name were well-known throughout the empire.

"There she is, milady!" Non pointed out Freen.

Freen, upon seeing Becca, widened her eyes and immediately made a run for it. Becca pursued her without concern for the people around them. Freen was swift, but Becca was astute. She headed in a different direction and swiftly captured Freen. With her sword pointed at Freen, she compelled her to surrender.

"Very well, you've got me," Freen chuckled. "You can lower your weapon; I fear not death."

"Where is my necklace?" Becca demanded.

"Necklace?" Freen queried, tilting her head. "What necklace?"

"Cease your pretense, rogue!" Becca retorted with a glare. "If you wish to prolong your life, return my necklace."

"Alright, I sold it," Freen admitted, further inflaming Becca's anger. She was about to strike Freen when Freen continued, "But I can retrieve it for you."

"Then retrieve it! Do you comprehend the significance it holds for me? It's the sole memento of my father!" Becca tried to maintain her composure, but inside, she was distraught for failing to protect it.

"But the person who purchased it hails from the Sylvanaria Empire, and he has already departed," Freen said, offering an apologetic smile and forming a peace sign, causing Becca to close her eyes and suppress her anger.

Becca refrained from harming Freen, realizing that doing so would hinder her quest to retrieve the necklace. She needed to use Freen to her advantage. Additionally, the journey between Sylvanaria and Seraphoria spanned months, and she couldn't leave her mission incomplete.

"I won't end your life today," Becca declared, sheathing her sword, "but you must assist me in finding the princess."

"Oh, so now you're resorting to blackmail?" Freen retorted, crossing her arms. "What if I refuse?"

"What if I sever your head right here and now?" Becca countered.

"Where should we begin our search? North? East?" Freen asked with a sly grin, attempting to link her arm with Becca's.

"Do not touch me!" Becca pushed her away, sighing. "Refrain from making contact if you wish to avoid a premature demise."

"Very well, whatever you say," Freen replied, rolling her eyes and awaiting Becca's response.

"Lady Becca..." Non arrived, panting heavily. "Freen is...," but his words trailed off when he spotted Freen.

"What about Freen?" Freen mocked, noticing Non's belated reaction. "Why are you so afraid of me?"

"Silence," Becca ordered, giving Freen's shoulder a light tap.

Freen grimaced and rolled her eyes.

Becca approached Non. "Never reveal Freen's identity to anyone, and return to the North. Inform the king that I have enlisted Freen as an ally. We will commence our search for the princess today."

"Understood, milady," Non nodded.

"And do not return here. Watch over your Duke and ensure he accepts the king's offer. Freen and I can handle the mission. Report back to me if the Duke takes any actions that anger the monarch," Becca added.

Non nodded and departed.

Freen questioned, "How can you trust him so easily?" as they both watched Non walk away.

"I do not easily trust anyone; trust is a difficult thing to earn and bestow," Becca replied with a stern look. "We shall stay at the inn together, and tomorrow, we will commence our search in the East."