Chapter 19

Irin, Freen, and Becca set off on their journey to Eldoria, a land full of mystery and wonder. The path ahead wound through lush forests and rolling hills, filling Irin with excitement and a hint of caution.

"Hey Irin, how old are you?" Becca's innocent question caught Irin by surprise.

"I'm almost an adult, just a few days away. Why do you ask?" Irin replied, intrigued by Becca's sudden curiosity.

"Just curious," Becca replied casually, hiding her thoughts behind a relaxed demeanor.

As they ventured deeper into Eldoria's outskirts, a sense of unease crept over them. Whispers of danger – bandits, wild creatures, and tales of forbidden magic – fueled their anxiety. Becca's grip tightened on her cloak, her eyes darting nervously from shadow to shadow.

"Are we sure about this?" Becca's voice trembled with fear.

Freen flashed a reassuring smile, masking her own worries. "Don't worry, we'll be fine," she said confidently, though she wasn't entirely convinced. "Let's stick together and stay alert. By really, you believe in dark magic?"

"I'm not afraid of magic, but the wilderness gives me the chills," Becca replied, rolling her eyes as Freen and Irin shared a knowing laugh. "I'll stick close to you guys. Watch out for any beasts," she added with a mix of jest and seriousness.

With a nod of agreement, Irin couldn't shake the feeling of apprehension in her stomach. They finally reached Eldoria's gates, guarded by imposing walls and stern sentinels.

Summoning her courage, Freen stepped forward with a smile. "Hello, sirs," she greeted the guards. "We need to enter Eldoria."

Becca leaned in and whispered to Freen, "Do they recognize you?"

Freen shook her head as the guards eyed them suspiciously. "Why do you want to enter our kingdom?" they asked gruffly.

After a brief pause, Freen met their gaze confidently. "We have urgent news for the crown prince, about our neighboring lands," she declared, masking her uncertainty with determination. "Just mention Lady Becca's name, and the crown prince will let us in."

After a moment of deliberation, the guards allowed them entry, warning them about Eldoria's unforgiving nature. They also recognized Becca's bravery, seeing her for the first time.

As they walked through the bustling streets, the city's vibrant energy surrounded them – lively markets, bustling streets, and people going about their day.

Becca's worries lingered, and she voiced her concerns softly. "Is it a good idea to meet the crown prince? What if he refuses to see us?"

Freen remained determined, knowing the importance of their mission. "We have no choice," she admitted, her tone serious but resolute. "We need his help to uncover the truth. But first, we need to impress him."

Irin nodded in agreement, though she couldn't shake off her own doubts and fears. The crown prince was known for his charm and danger, and their journey ahead was uncertain. But they were united by their sense of duty and hope for justice.

Freen took charge, insisting on speaking directly with the crown prince despite Becca's worries.

"But what if they know who you are? What if they see you as a troublemaker?" Becca fretted. "And what if they turn us away before we even get a chance to explain?"

"Don't worry, my identity is safe here. There's nothing to be afraid of," Freen reassured Becca with a gentle kiss on her forehead before heading off.

Seeing the tension between Becca and Freen, Irin sensed an opportunity to address the underlying issue.

"Becca, can we talk for a moment?" Irin approached gently.

Curiosity sparked in Becca's eyes as they found a quiet corner to chat away from prying ears.

"I've noticed there's some tension between you and Freen," Irin broached the topic delicately.

Becca's guard softened, revealing a vulnerability she usually kept hidden. "It's not a big deal," she shrugged, but her tone hinted at inner turmoil.

Irin persisted, sensing there was more to the story. "You can trust me, Becca. There's obviously something bothering you," she urged gently.

With a heavy sigh, Becca relented, admitting, "Okay, maybe I'm a little unsure about Freen's feelings."

Irin nodded understandingly, offering comfort. "It's okay to feel that way. Facing your feelings head-on is the first step toward resolving them," she advised kindly.

Becca's confession hung in the air, her emotions laid bare. Just then, they spotted Freen mingling with the crown prince, stirring up Becca's unease. Was it necessary to stay that close to crown prince? They were so close and they could almost kiss. With tension mounting, Becca felt compelled to confront Freen.

When Freen was done with her mission, she went back where she left the two with a big smile on her face that suddenly faded when she saw Becca's disappointed expression.

"Irin, can we have a moment alone?" Becca's request was terse but determined.

Sensing the gravity of the situation, Irin gave them privacy, offering Becca a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder.

Alone with Freen, Becca wasted no time in expressing her frustration. "What were you thinking?" she chided, her voice tinged with hurt.

Freen looked puzzled, genuinely surprised by Becca's outburst. "What did I do wrong?" she asked, defensive.

Becca's frustration bubbled over as she criticized Freen's behavior. "Your flirting with the prince – it's embarrassing. Is it really necessary?"

"Why does my behavior bother you so much?" Freen countered, her patience wearing thin.

Becca's anger flared as she voiced her concerns, urging Freen to reconsider her approach. "There are better ways to get what we need. Your actions could put us all in danger."

Freen's facade cracked, her own frustrations rising to the surface. "You're accusing me of recklessness? Meanwhile, you're hiding your jealousy behind a facade of indifference," she retorted, hurt evident in her voice. "Becca, there is no way to get an information from the crown prince if I won't stay close to her.

"That close? You two almost kissed!" Becca retorted.

"And so what if we did?" Freen asked, leaving Becca taken aback. "Wait, are you really jealous?"

Becca's admission hung heavy in the air, her vulnerability exposed. "Okay, maybe I'm jealous," she confessed, her defenses crumbling.

Moved by Becca's honesty, Freen embraced her tenderly, seeking forgiveness. "I'm sorry for upsetting you, Becca. I promise, I'm loyal to you alone. Can you forgive me?" she asked softly.

Becca's resistance melted away as she accepted Freen's apology. She only glared at her and called Irin to escape the awkward atmosphere.

Damn, why was she even jealous? No time for that. Back to the mission.