Chapter 7

Becca roused from her slumber, gazing upon the countenance of the rogue before her. Even in the morning light, Freen's visage radiated a peculiar allure. She appeared like an angel draped in the guise of a demon, a paradox of elegance and a touch of nobility.

Indeed, Freen's noble lineage was revealed to Becca the night prior, as she recounted her father's treasonous acts and the subsequent path that led her to the life of a rogue. However, skepticism lingered in Becca's mind, questioning the veracity of some of Freen's revelations.

Freen had eluded capture, yet no one seemed to be actively searching for her. Could her family be behind her disappearance, assuming she was still within their confines? Becca pondered on the cunning nature of Freen, speculating on the reasons that might have angered her parents. Was it her knowledge of the truth, and how had she come by this information? Who would lend credence to the words of a mere lady like her?

"You're staring too much; I might melt," quipped Freen, playfully flicking Becca's forehead before returning to her slumber.

Turning to the spot where her sword usually rested, Becca discovered it missing. Panic set in, prompting a hasty search of the room, including a futile inspection of Freen's bag.

Her sword, a closely guarded secret and a link to her past, was now gone. Becca's mind raced with thoughts of the repercussions for her quest to find the missing princess.

"Damn," Becca muttered, frustration evident as she scoured every corner of the room.

Someone had known about her weakness, her attachment to the sword. But who could be behind this act? Becca lacked enemies, particularly among the nobility. All those with power were ostensibly on her side. Who, then, would commit such a theft?

"Think, bullshit!" Becca exclaimed, startling Freen. Unaccustomed to sharing her vulnerability, Becca racked her brain for a solution.

Freen, suggesting a visit to the weapon shop for alternatives, received a stern look from Becca. The stolen sword wasn't merely a tool; it held a unique significance, designed solely for her use. If her theory held true, the theft was a calculated move to leave her defenseless.

"And now you have an enemy?" Freen teased, chuckling at the situation. Rising from the bed, she patted Becca's shoulder, offering a solution.

"Learn how to use other weapons, Lady Becca."

"Can you?" Becca queried.

Freen affirmed with pride, and a smile played on her lips. "Why?"

"I would like you to be my sword until we get to Sylvanaria," Becca proposed, swallowing her pride. "And I will pay you whatever you want after the mission."

Freen, amused, reminded Becca that her protection came at a price. However, Becca's need overruled any objections, and the pact was made.

As they left the inn, Becca sought the innkeeper's help, informing them of the stolen sword. The innkeeper apologized and offered money as compensation. Becca accepted, determined to keep her single-sword proficiency a secret.

In the weapon shop, Freen looked around to find a good sword for her as Becca tried to find the same sword crafted by that blacksmith but nothing.

"I found one!" Freen giggled. The blade, forged from a darkened alloy, boasted a sleek, obsidian finish that seemed to swallow the surrounding light. The edge was honed with precision, its sharpness evident even in the dimmest settings. The hilt, crafted with a stoic elegance, was clad in a smooth, ebony grip that offered both comfort and control.

"How much for that?" Becca asked.

"20 silvers. But since you're Lady Rebecca, it's free," the blacksmith told her, his large physique looming over them. "Anyways, you lost yours? I heard it was a gift from a blacksmith in Sylvanaria last year?"

Becca nodded slowly. "I needed two of these for her too," she said, motioning toward Freen.

"I'll just check at the back," the blacksmith said and left.

"I wish I could see this beauty clearly. If it weren't for my sedge hat," Freen remarked, gazing at the sword. "Let me try it." She swiftly moved it and even shielded Becca from an arrow that almost hit her.

Becca's eyes widened. Arrows continued to penetrate the weapon shop through the open windows and door. Freen skillfully intercepted each one, a display of her prowess.

"This is good. I can use this for the meantime," Freen said, smiling at Becca.

When the blacksmith returned, Freen put on her mask again and waited for Becca to pay for the weapons. The blacksmith, puzzled by the arrows, examined one closely.

"The woods used here is Port Orford Cedar. It is the most expensive wood in the empire. However, not all the kingdoms have this kind of plant," the blacksmith explained to Becca. "The only kingdom that has Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana is Celestria."

"Celestria. A kingdom rich in agriculture. I didn't know anyone there, so I didn't know who would try to assassinate me in daylight," Becca whispered, looking at Freen. "Let's begin the quest. Let's find the missing princess while looking for my possible killer."

"Aren't we going to retrieve your necklace first?" Freen asked.

"Once I retrieve it, I'll use it to choke you!" Becca declared with a mixture of determination and a hint of humor.