Chapter 8

So, after acquiring a weapon Becca couldn't wield, they ventured outside to the stables where their horses awaited. Becca looked around for Freen's horse and turned to her.

"Where's your horse?" Becca asked.

Freen scanned the surroundings and pointed towards the black one. "There he is. Why?" she inquired.

"Nothing, what's his name?" Becca asked.

"Scallop. Well-trained. Just by calling his name, he'd come. But don't call him while he's tied. He'd definitely wreck the stable," Freen proudly explained. "And yours? What's her name?"

"A mare. Gallop is her name." Becca looked away.

Freen burst into laughter upon hearing the mare's name. "Gallop? Why? Because she's galloping?"

Becca shot Freen a stern look, causing her laughter to cease. Freen went back to fetch her stallion with head lowered.

The sky appeared suitable for searching for the princess, but within Becca, uncertainty lingered. How could she find a faceless princess unknown to all? No one had seen the princess's face, so how could she be located? She hesitated to reveal this to Freen, fearing mockery for lack of foresight.

"So, where are we headed?" Freen asked, holding the reins of her horse. "Celestria or—?"

"North. We must return to speak with the Princess's former maid. Perhaps, she knows something about the missing princess's habits or mannerisms. That could help us locate her easily." Becca mounted her mare. "Are you ready?"

"Wait, you really don't know the princess's face?" Freen asked, tilting her head. "What if someone fooled us and claimed to be her?"

"It wasn't publicly announced that the princess was missing. This mission is secret, and no one should know the heir is gone. A kingdom without an heir is weak. So, if other states found out, they might try to colonize Seraphoria." Becca looked at Freen sternly. "Let me ask you again, are you ready to begin?"

Freen mounted her horse, looking at Becca with uncertainty. If finding the princess served the common folk, Freen would help, but not at the cost of innocent lives.

"Where exactly are we going?" Freen asked.

"Nam. The former maid of the princess. Well-known to all, she served various princesses from different kingdoms." Becca pulled the reins, causing her horse to neigh and resist movement.

Freen furrowed her brows, inspecting the horse. It was bleeding. That's why Becca's mare didn't want to move; the horse was injured.

"Get down, she's bleeding." Freen urged Becca and dismounted too. She examined the wound, caused by a sword. The horse was deeply injured. "Someone injured your horse intentionally."

"Those nobles. They were trying to stop me from something. I didn't know what it was, but they were definitely stopping me." Becca whispered, her face flushed with anger.

Becca sighed and looked at Freen's healthy horse. She smiled a bit before getting on him. She was surprised because Scallop didn't get angry when she got on.

"Come. Let's share a horse until we arrive at North." Becca smiled at Freen and helped her onto the horse's back.

"What are you going to do with your mare?" Freen asked.

"Non will be here later; he will return her to my residence. Don't worry about her." Becca patted Scallop and pulled the reins to move.

Becca and Freen traveled from South Seraphoria to the North to locate Nam. It was challenging to get there in time, especially with changing weather and only one horse. Freen was tired from the ride, so she chose to dismount and walk instead.

"Scallop can't take it anymore. We've been on this journey for three days now. Although we're resting, he can't carry two people." Freen explained, prompting a pause. In the middle of nowhere, they needed to keep going before the sun set.

"We can't stop here, Freen. There's a possibility it would rain. Where are we going to stay the night?" Becca asked.

"Even so, I can't let Scallop die from fatigue." Freen pulled Scallop's reins for him to stop walking. She looked around to find a shelter for the night. She saw an old hut not too far away and pointed it out to Becca. "There."

"What if someone is living there?" Becca asked, crossing her arms. "We can't just stay in one place, especially if someone is after me. You get it?"

"Don't worry, I am your sword and shield. I won't let anyone hurt you," Freen said, reaching for Becca's hand, and they walked towards the hut.

Inside, it was dark, with creaking woods under their steps. Becca looked around; the hut seemed good, with no signs of recent habitation. Freen used matches to make a torch and examined the hut. Satisfied, she turned to Becca.

"Stay here; I'll look for something to eat." Freen was about to go out when Becca stopped her. The sky was getting dim, and rain seemed imminent. "What?"

"Stay. It's going to rain. It's dangerous," Becca warned.

Freen chuckled and removed Becca's hand. "It's fine. You need strength for tomorrow. I'll be back before you know it."

"What if someone attacked me while you're gone?" Becca asked, worriedly.

"Trust me. No one can hurt you while I am around." Freen patted Becca's head and chuckled before she went out.