Chapter 10

Becca and Freen entered the King's palace, drawing the attention of all as spears were pointed at Freen. She was forbidden from entering, her unstoppable nature striking fear in everyone. The absence of the king's heir only fueled their apprehension about what Freen might do to the king.

"Lower your weapons. The King called for the rogue!" Shun, the king's adviser, commanded.

As the crowd retreated, bowing in apology, Becca scanned the area for Non, finding him absent. She was relieved that she wouldn't be trailed any longer.

"Greetings, your highness," Becca knelt and bowed to the king, while Freen stood, head lowered but refusing to kneel. "Freen," Becca whispered, but Freen remained unmoved.

"A rogue stays a rogue, Becca. She loathes nobility, won't bow to any noble or monarch," the King chuckled, allowing them to stand. "Shun, instruct the guards to vacate the palace temporarily. We have an important matter to discuss."

Shun complied, ushering the guards out. With only the trio present, Freen removed her sedge hat. The King smiled and nodded at her, prompting Freen to avert her gaze and bow her head again. Becca sensed an underlying tension between them—perhaps Freen had wronged the king or held a secret that burdened her.

"Your Highness, we have a lead on locating your princess. We've been told she intended to go to Valeria, passing through Celestria," Becca explained, head still bowed.

"What troubles you, Becca? Fear does not suit you," the King inquired, noting the change in Freen's weaponry. "What occurred in the South?"

"Sire, the bandits attacked the South, stealing goods and women. They sought to—" Becca was cut off as the King angrily stood.

"What befell you in the South?!" The King shouted, descending from his throne to check Becca for injuries before returning.

The King's outburst was unusual, but he had promised Becca's father to shield her from his own fate. As long as he could muster protection for her, he would. The King owed her father; Becca's father had been his knight since their youth, teaching him swordsmanship and discovering his secret inability to wield any weapon but a complex double-edged sword.

"I'm unharmed, your majesty. Freen is by my side," Becca knelt again, unaware that the King knew of her limited sword skills.

The King nodded, scrutinizing the rogue. Freen met his gaze with an expressionless stare, leaving Becca puzzled. Did Freen desire execution? Direct eye contact with the King was strictly forbidden.

"We seek your support in finding the princess, Your Majesty," Becca continued. "We've chosen to search discreetly throughout the Empire, including Seraphoria, Celestria, Valeria, Eldoria, and Sylvanaria's capital. If you could provide us with a carriage, we would be grateful."

"Acquire what you need, Rebecca. Return safely," the King ordered. "This is not a request. If you perish, those around you will suffer my judgment. Understood?"

"Yes, your majesty. I shall depart," Becca stood and bowed once more.

"Freen," the King called to the rogue. "Guard her with your life."

Freen donned her sedge hat, and they left the palace. Becca sighed, eyeing Freen with frustration.

"Why did you act that way?" Becca questioned.

"What do you mean?" Freen responded, furrowing her brows.

"You looked at the King as if you knew him," Becca said, rubbing her chin. "And those glances—those aren't of anger. You know the King, Freen. How?"

"I know every King in this empire, Becca. I'm a rogue. I know their secrets, how they treat commoners. Among the four kings, Seraphoria has a just ruler. You'd understand if you visit other kingdoms," Freen explained, walking past her.

Becca returned to her residence while Freen prepared the carriage. All eyes were on Freen, but she remained elusive. Meanwhile, Becca found her brother examining paintings when she arrived.

"What are you doing?" Becca asked.

"How long will you be gone?" Richard asked, dismissing Becca's initial question.

"For a while. I don't know," she replied. "Did you inform the King of your decision?"

"I have no choice, Becca. The King wants me to marry the princess. Once you find her, we'll marry immediately. It saddens me," he confessed.

"Because you don't love her?" Becca scoffed. "You'll learn to love her, Richard. You'll see it's the best path. At least, the Armstrong bloodline will continue through you."

"Are you sure you don't want to marry? While you're away, the King mentioned you'd marry someone after this quest. Didn't you know?" Richard inquired.

Becca knew. When sent to the battlefield, she learned of her betrothal but told the King she needed time. She didn't want to marry that prince, and only she and the King knew of her betrothal. No one knew that after this quest, everything would change.

"I thought I'd perish in the battlefield, so I let the King decide for me. But publicly, the King always urged me to marry, knowing I was betrothed," Becca gazed at her brother. "Unlike you, I can't do as I please after marriage. I can't."

"Why? Queens from different kingdoms used to join the battlefield," Richard reassured her.

"I won't marry a state's prince. I'll marry the Empire's crown prince."