Chapter 11

Freen observed Becca's quiet demeanor as they rode in the carriage. The King had provided two servants to make their journey more comfortable, yet Becca appeared fatigued and somber. Freen, unaware of recent events, questioned her companion.

"What's on your mind?" Freen inquired, taking a seat beside the knight. "Feeling weary already?"

Becca gazed outside and sighed, offering no response to Freen's query. The events leading up to this moment remained unknown to Freen, who only knew that Becca had visited their residence to inform her brother about the impending journey. However, upon her return, Becca had transformed into this despondent state.

"If you're hungry, just say the word," Freen awkwardly retreated to her seat, glancing outside. She hesitated to press Becca further, fearing a negative reaction.

"Freen, did your parents arrange a marriage for you?" Becca questioned.

"No, why do you ask?" Freen replied.

"What would you do if you weren't ready for marriage, but you had no choice? Especially if the person holds a high status and refusing isn't really an option," Becca lowered her head. "I don't want to marry him," she whispered, the last phrase escaping Freen's notice.

"High status? Like the King?" Freen inquired.

Becca chuckled and shook her head. "The Crown Prince of the Empire. You don't know him?"

"I've told you, I'm acquainted with every noble in this Empire. He's a decent man, you know," Freen smiled, a hint of pain evident. Offering advice to someone she cared about in such a situation was unexpected. "He's a capable ruler, a rightful Emperor. Wouldn't you want to be his wife?"

"I don't want to be married. I want to face death on the battlefield without the burden of a family to return to. I don't want to regret leaving my family for the kingdom. I don't want my children to endure what I've been through," Becca sighed, attempting to hold back tears. "I don't want to force myself to love someone. I want genuine feelings, but it's frightening."

"You desire natural love?" Freen asked.

Becca nodded slowly. "I'm still young. I have a life ahead of me. If I marry too soon, I won't have the freedom to pursue what I want, especially as the future Empress. I should be a role model for everyone."

"You're the only one who dislikes power, Lady Becca," Freen shook her head. "Why not give it a chance? Marry him and prove you're worthy."

"And betray myself?" Becca retorted. "No, I need to find a way to escape this political marriage or I'd rather kill myself."

"Why speak of betrayal and death? You're being unreasonable," Freen questioned, noticing they were nearing the Celestria border.

"Defying the Emperor is treason. He'd execute me if I showed any dissatisfaction," Becca rolled her eyes.

"What if he truly loves you? What if he grants you everything you desire? Would you still refuse to marry him?" Freen queried, tilting her head.

"He only wants to marry me for my skills. He won't love me for who I am," Becca sighed.

"He loves you, Lady Becca," Freen reassured, squeezing her hand gently. "But for now, let's focus on the quest. We've arrived in Celestria."

The bustling streets of Celestria, adorned with stalls showcasing the kingdom's agricultural wealth, greeted them. The air resonated with laughter and music, as citizens reveled in the festivities. The central square hosted a grand feast, symbolizing unity.

As the sun set, casting warm hues, the festivities continued into the night. Luminous lanterns lit up the streets, creating a warm glow. The monarch's benevolent presence symbolized prosperity and abundance.

"Lady Becca, we're here. Inn or sightseeing first?" the servant asked.

"We'll stay here," Freen replied. "Rest at the inn, and leave the carriage at the nearest one."

"The Crown Prince would have greeted us if we weren't late. Maybe he's still busy," Becca informed the servants, handing them a token. "Use this if questioned at the kingdom's entrance."

"You trust them?" Freen questioned, eyeing the significant token.

"Don't worry. They know the consequences for betrayal," Becca assured. She turned to Freen with a smirk.

"Threatening people even without a sword," Freen teased. "Tonight, let's forget our troubles and celebrate!"

Freen took Becca's hand, leading her to a candy stall. Becca tasted a sour candy, causing her to grimace. They then tried different drinks, with Becca accidentally consuming wine. Freen guided her to the Celestria River, where lanterns lit up the night.

"Do you know the saying about these lanterns?" Freen asked, lighting one in front of Becca.

"What saying?" Becca inquired.

"If you light this lantern with someone, you'll be together for a long time," Freen smiled, releasing the lantern into the night.

"Planning to spend a long time with me?" Becca asked, chuckling at Freen's cheekiness.

"If I can't be with you, I'll serve you. My future Empress," Freen declared, watching the lantern soar. It was the first genuine smile Becca had seen on Freen's face.