Chapter 12

As Freen and Becca traversed the thoroughfares on their way to the palace, Freen inquired with a gaze that mirrored the brilliance of the evening sky, "Did you have fun?" Her eyes remained fixed on Becca, whom she regarded as the brightest star that adorned the night. "You're beautiful."

Perplexed, Becca responded, "What?"

"I asked if you have fun," Freen repeated, averting her gaze.

On the horizon loomed the grand castle, its towering presence casting a shadow over the path. The palace guards, captivated by Rebecca's allure, could hardly divert their attention. Suppressing a smile, Freen chuckled, diverting her gaze once more to the heavens.

"I did. Thank you. I forgot my problems for a moment," Becca replied, placing her arms on Freen's shoulders. "I owe you this one, Freen." She bestowed a kiss on Freen's cheeks, and they proceeded forward.

Upon reaching the residence of the crown prince, Heng warmly welcomed them. Joy lit up his face at the sight of Becca, a childhood friend reunited after years. Heng, Becca, Non, Nut, William, and the Empire's Crown Prince constituted a close-knit circle from Becca's younger years.

"Welcome, Lady Rebecca," Heng chuckled upon seeing her. "I recall the days when you urged us to train and grow taller than you. But look at you now," he teased.

Becca rolled her eyes, responding, "Oh, come on. There's an explanation."

Curiosity gleamed in Heng's eyes as he observed Freen. "You're the rogue?" he questioned, stepping back. "How come?"

"Know her?" Becca inquired.

Heng chuckled, shaking his head. "Ah, I think I've seen her before, perhaps when she filched something from my residence."

"I never stole anything from your residence. You're a good crown prince, but your father isn't a good ruler. Take my suggestion and take his place before your kingdom falls," Freen asserted, seated on the floor with a sigh.

Becca, feeling a twinge of embarrassment, softly intervened, "You're both tired; I apologize. Please, show us the way."

Heng, insisting on their comfort, gestured to a servant to guide them to their rooms. Becca expressed her gratitude, and as the servant departed, Freen leaned against Becca's door, arms crossed.

"You sleeping alone?" Freen inquired. "Aren't you going to sleep beside me tonight?"

"No. I need some space for a moment," Becca replied, smiling at Freen.

Before Becca could enter, Freen pulled her into a hug from behind, placing something in her hands. Becca was left perplexed, holding a ribbon with an embroidered name. Did Freen craft it specifically for her? Becca sighed, pondering the meaning, and entered her room.

Overwhelmed, Becca wept as she lay on her bed. The necklace, a connection to her late father, still eluded her. Tears flowed as she longed for his presence. Suddenly, a pair of arms enveloped her, and Freen whispered an apology. In that warmth, Becca found solace.

The next morning unfolded with Heng joining Becca and Freen for breakfast. His eyes reflected sympathy as he observed Becca's swollen eyes. Heng, well aware of the situation from the letter his father had received, expressed his condolences although it happened many years ago.

"I forgot there was a war between Seraphoria and Celestria before. It happened during my coming of age," Freen mentioned casually, her focus on devouring the morning meal.

Becca clarified, "She's a noble who became a rogue." She explained the exclusivity of the coming-of-age ceremonies for nobles due to their financial standing.

"So, Becca, what brings you here?" Heng, curious about their mission, inquired. "My father informed me about the princess, and we tried locating her here in Celestria, but to no avail. You know our small population makes it easy to find anyone here."

"Actually, we're not here to look for the princess. We have a lead that she was in Valeria. But I have a question." Becca, arrow in hand, shifted the topic. "Are you familiar with these arrows? The blacksmith from Seraphoria told me that this kind of wood was only available here."

Heng inspected the arrow and recognized it immediately. "Yes, the Celestial Assassins used this. They were known for their skill in archery. Don't tell me they attacked you?"

Freen interjected confidently, "Indeed. We want to know where they are."

Heng, intrigued, continued, "I don't know where they are based, but one of my servants did have a conversation with some members of the Celestial Assassins. I can inquire for you."

As Heng gestured to summon the servant, Becca couldn't help but reflect on the mysterious events. The Celestial Assassins, her encounter with them, and Freen's seemingly improbable intervention fueled her curiosity and concern.

While awaiting the servant's return, Heng continued, "By the way, how did you manage to dodge the attacks of those assassins? They were considered the best; no one could evade their arrows."

Freen, rising from her seat, chuckled and patted her on the shoulder. "They are unlucky; I'm alive."

Becca, still harboring doubts, looked at Freen, questioning silently how she could shield her from such skilled adversaries. Her skepticism lingered as Freen's nonchalant demeanor left Becca grappling with uncertainty.

The servant returned, and Heng excused himself briefly, leaving Becca and Freen alone. Seizing the opportunity, Becca turned to Freen with a furrowed brow, "There's more to your story, isn't there?"

Freen, meeting Becca's gaze, sighed. "Some tales are better shared in due time.".